Atom tiller

Discussion in 'Building DIY, Machinery & Tools' started by Flatland, May 14, 2017.

1. Flatland

Flatland Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    Thinking of buying a tiller. Looking at a 4 twine tiller made by Atom. I want something small because I plan is to tiller around my Lucerne plants in the paddock to seed in grasses. I looked at tillers that fit onto the end of brushcutters but they don't fit on the two brushcutters I have so I would have to buy a third brushcutter and it would work out very expensive. So has anyone used a tiller? The Atom on is fairly small so I hope more would be easier to move around plants. I have looked at ones to hire but they are all much bigger, heavier and not what I am after. My soil is sandy so I don't think I need anything with a lot of grunt​

2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I only have my big beast of a tiller 6.5HP similar to these here on eBay but I guess it's too powerful for what you want.

How hard is the ground you want to dig up? Small tillers won't do a very good job on compacted ground but they're fine for garden beds or areas with relatively loose soil.

I have an example of my tiller in this thread here.

3. Flatland

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    I've got very sandy soil which in winter is very easy to dig but in summer sets like stone. I can't believe how hard it is in summer compared with winter. When we were having our water piping for the house dug in summer they had to hire heavy earthmovers & even they had trouble but in winter the same soil you can dig easily with your hand. Anyway I plan to use the tiller in winter so a light tiller should be fine. And in summer in the veggie garden I have worked out if I keep the soil moist & mulch really heavily that soil stays loose too

4. Flatland

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    we ended up buying the atom tiller. had a play with it yesterday and once I got the hang of it it works really well. It says it can not work hard soil and I think that is right but as we have sandy soil it works well. In summer when the soil turns to sandSTONE it wouldn't cope but that's OK as I can't see me wanting to work it then. The only problem I am having with it is moving from one place to another (not tilling) it is hard to keep the blades off the ground. To do that you have to really lie it down which you can do but then you are walking along bending over. I will have to have a think about what I can do about that.
    But all in all I think it is pretty easy to use and will do the jobs that I what to do

• Like Like x 1
  5. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I was thinking that as i was reading the thread. By the time you add extra stuff to the soil it should be good :twothumbsup:

6. Flatland

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    Yes where I have worked the veggie garden adding lots of horse poo it turns onto a really nice sandy loam. The tiller will just make the work easier. I really got the tiller for working up bits of the paddocks to plant perennial grasses but it is a plus that it will help in the veggie garden.

7. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Good stuff. I had an Atom edger it worked well for a good decade until I eventually burnt it out.

8. Flatland

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    10 years isn't bad for a machine