Question Asking for your 2 cents worth-potatoes in containers

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
We are growing purple potatoes and sweet potatoes in tall buckets this year.

Tomorrow I plan to clip the sweet potato vines to saute with onion and garlic for dinner since the vines are about 4 ft. long.

That got me to wondering if I should clip back the potato vines also??? I KNOW NOT to eat them. I was born at night, but not last night .. lol

Seriously, these were planted 2 months ago so if i clip the vines will it promote more spuds under ground?

Looking forward to feedback, Thanks and Happy Gardening !
P J

Last edited:

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
20200601_195944.jpg 20200601_195959_001.jpg

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical

This guy also has several other potato and sweet potato growing videos always in containers of some sort.
He seems to have great success.

I wouldn't prune the tops of the potatoes. I'm not heard of doing it and when I accidentally did it one year those spuds never finished maturing.

Sweet potatoes can be different because you can keep pruning them and the pruned parts planted for new crops.

But then there is nothing similar between those two types of plants except the name.

Reactions: GKW

Cathy

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I grew potatoes from my cupboard in a grow bag last year with great success. The bag was probably a bit bigger than your buckets.

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
As I understand it, the potatoes form from/along the root system of the plant so you don't want to trim the top part of the plant, it will be providing the energy and photosynthesis (?) for the underground root system on which your future crop is forming

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)

This guy also has several other potato and sweet potato growing videos always in containers of some sort.
He seems to have great success.

I wouldn't prune the tops of the potatoes. I'm not heard of doing it and when I accidentally did it one year those spuds never finished maturing.

Sweet potatoes can be different because you can keep pruning them and the pruned parts planted for new crops.

But then there is nothing similar between those two types of plants except the name.

Thanks for the links Clissa - will be trying potato in buckets when the season rolls around

Top Bottom