Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
heh, I know that fella! :ROFL: I met him at Terrys house (photo of Terry's setup half way up this thread)
:eek: You're joking... It's a small world.

He reckons he's made a bigger one now and I asked him about adding nutrients to the water because in the comments he mentioned he was adding iron chelates to feed and I wondered if that would harm the fish but he said it doesn't.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I haven't talked to him for a while so I'm not sure what he's up to with that, he did mention the guttering was too shallow. He has lots of interests, he made some nice Cumquat Liquor, also makes cheese. He has a backyard pizza oven too. He's probably got youtube videos of it all.

Last edited:

armysnail

Premium Member
I'm in the process of designing and building a large aquaponics setup. I have a small system to trial it using goldfish. It is growing lettuce, parsley, kale and strawberries. Sweetest strawberries I've had in a while. Not sure what they are as we have a commercial farm around the corner and when they plowed last years crop in I asked if I could take a few plants. I am still trying to work out how many fish you need for the system. I'll post photos tomorrow of the trial setup.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
update 3/1/2015

All but one fish died suddenly, about 20 plate size fish. She's not sure why but it's sort of a major set back as you could imagine. Bit of a bugger when things go wrong, and this aquaponics game seems to have these kinds of risks.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
A virus or contamination what's more likely?

To me, it's very interesting but not something I'd want to do personally - I like the dirt, as cliche as that sounds...

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
yeah I dunno either, she's thinking something weird with the water, but she's checked a few things and can't come up with an answer. Yeah.. it's sort of a bit of magic involved? Something goes wrong and you lose a lot. I agree, I like it, it's like some kind of science experiment, but i'll just stick to the dirt for now.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That's a lot of big fish to lose though... It's not like you can just go and buy some more that size either. No, that's real shame.

Top Bottom