Approaching End of Season

DThille

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Well, we finally got some frost this week...about a month after the average first frost date for Winnipeg :oops:

We've been slowly harvesting and cleaning up as things have gone along. The new raised beds settled around 3" / 10 cm since filling them this year. I have some ancient manure to add and we are getting 10 yards of compost delivered to the country property tomorrow so I'll bring some of that in.

The kale was a new adventure for us this year and has done really well. It's nice to be able to pop outside and grab a leaf or two for sandwiches or what have you. Overall it was a bit of a tough year as we started with some pest issues and my wife looked up a home-brew spray...we aren't sure if it was the bugs or the spray that set things back. Last weekend we potted up the hot peppers in the hope that we can get some further along the ripening path. We've been covering the sweet peppers although the plants don't look particularly happy...She Who Must Be Obeyed said she was going to cut off whatever fruit was there and we'll make use of it. There are still the heirloom carrots to harvest - there's supposed to be four colours there, so that should make for an interesting photo at least.

One lesson learned is that we tried to put too much in the beds. While I like the concept of crowding, we hadn't thought through enough on what would come up and shade first, so some plants just didn't get much sun.

I planted the hardneck garlic in the ground over a month ago, which would have been fine had things cooled off as they normally do. A number of them have sprouted so I'll need to mulch fairly heavily before we get into winter.

On another note, the potted key lime came in some time ago with about 25 fruits set on it. A few of the smaller ones have dropped, but that regularly happens. I'm not sure what we'll use them for other than a garnish or perhaps flavour a drink a bit.

I hope to be back soon with an update on the country place...we've got an ambitious project ahead of us....

Attachments

• 20211024DSC_0156_RaisedBeds.jpg
    20211024DSC_0156_RaisedBeds.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 20211024DSC_0157RaisedBeds.jpg
    20211024DSC_0157RaisedBeds.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 80
  • 20211024DSC_0158Cherry.jpg
    20211024DSC_0158Cherry.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 80

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It looks great! And it appears that you've learnt loads. Let's head into an even better year in which we've learnt even more!
You could temporarily use a popular commercial spray on half the plants and the homebrew on the other half to see if values are perhaps off and harming the plants. Also, spray during cooler temperatures as the heat could scorch it into the plants, damaging it. I tend to prefer spraying at night personally, but some like early day or late afternoon so you have a little daylight to work with.

Top Bottom