Anyone have experience using a scythe to cut grass?

Tonytony

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I've been very interested in using a scythe for my lawn (specifically an austrian style scythe, if it matters). I don't have too much grass, and its a bit far from the garage so having to pull out the mower and use gas is a bit annoying. A scythe seems much better for the environment and like a nice little workout. What I'm really wondering about is if its possible to use it in smaller spaces? For example, one of my raised beds is next to a fence, maybe 2 feet of space in between them. Could a scythe cut there, and up against the fence? Or would I have to pull out a weedwacker/sickle? Switching completely away from electric and gas tools seems like an interesting endeavor to take on, but I'm just not sure how efficient it'll be.

rewired

Premium Member
GOLD
Frederiksted, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
Climate
Tropical
I'm not sure what style of scythe your talking about, but I bought a tool they call a 'grass whip' (it's shaped sort of like a golf club) with a blade about 8" (200 mm) long.

It does pretty well in smaller areas, but I needed to sharpen it first (a flat bastard file on the bottom to sharpen the flats and a round file to sharpen the rounded valleys). You use a 'lazy' golf swing and cut in both directions. It took a little getting used to, but works well cutting paths and grass. I haven't tried it next to a fence (I don't have one), but it might be something that would work for you.

It only cost me about $30 USD delivered and it's easy to carry to the back of the garden.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
If your narrow space is nicely level you could try a push manual mower.
They can be obtained for little cost (maybe $30 AU) at yard sales or on gumtree because people don't realise how hard the newer types are to push.
Far older original mowers still in excellent condition are actually easier to push because they are originals, not chinese imitations.

bizhat

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
What I'm really wondering about is if its possible to use it in smaller spaces?
maybe 2 feet of space in between them. Could a scythe cut there, and up against the fence?

definitely not ;)
as AndrewB had mentioned, you will have issues with a controlled swing.
> using a scythe requires, at least, more than 4ft space in the cutting area and 6ft in the swinging area (especially with that Austrian style scythe).
> the sickle is a nice idea, but as with the scythe, you'd need a bit of space for the swinging and cutting - so if you're planning on cutting the grass near a wall or barrier, it might not be as clean-cut or you'd end up with damages to tool and wall.
>> I'd suggest going with an electric grass shearer, or a string trimmer, or just using these.. huge hedge scissors.

Top Bottom