Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Apr 2, 2018
Albury, NSW
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi all,

I'm currently 8 months into a mostly potted garden, as I'm renting at the moment, so am limited with what I can do. It's going really well & I wanted to share my experiences with other gardeners.

I hope to be food self sufficient by the end of the year, almost there now, but just need to boost the quantity & varieties I grow. I also am interested in learning more about preserving food.

I've previously built a successful aquaponics garden that is still going strong & is around 8-9 years old now.

My long term goal is to move to NZ & live completely off grid on a large property.

Andrew

Reactions: Mark

DarrenP

Premium Member
GOLD
Nov 24, 2017
Mid North SA
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Welcome to the forum. I look forward to hearing of your potted experiences, as I am contemplating some pots of leafy vegetables.

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Apr 2, 2018
Albury, NSW
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks, I'll do a little write up soon. Swiss/Rainbow Chard grows great in pots & loves the hot summer sun here. Perpetual spinach is ok too, but I found it wilts a bit on the warmer days.

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Mar 26, 2015
Preston, QLD
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Cool, you have ambitious goals that are certainly achievable and admirable. It all starts small, and as you grow into it you'll get more and more confidence in getting the results in a larger scale.

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Jan 10, 2016
Brisbane
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Very impressed that you're almost SS from pots!! That's gotta be a lot of pots! Pics pls AndrewB!!

Reactions: Mark

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
My long term goal is to move to NZ & live completely off grid on a large property.
That's quite a goal! Sounds GREAT!

Welcome Andrew and thank you for joining us. Obviously, you have plenty of growing experience especially in container gardening which is booming in popularity.

All the best towards reaching your goals - it took us years of planning and work to develop our little patch of heaven and it's still not finished... never will be :)