alternative to steel lids for preserving

Discussion in 'Food - Cooking, Preserving & Fermentation' started by Pene, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Pene

Pene Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I'm new to this. I have had lots of jars given to me however I have a concern about some of the lids.
    I seem to remember my grandma using wax paper or the like to seal the jars. Can anyone help me with this method or an alternative. I volunteer for NFP so buying lids that may not come back is really not an option as we give away the excess and I want to be sure it is safe.
    thanks
    Pene

2. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi, you will have lots of fun getting into preserving. You have to be very careful with preserving food to make sure it is sealed and doesn't get any nasty bugs in it. The old way of doing things is not the recommended way to do things these days. In saying that I know a lot of people still do the older methods of preserving with no issues. A good place to start to get an idea of how to go about preserving using the current methods is to buy or borrow the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving. Big W sells it and it's not too expensive. There are also several facebook groups that can offer advice and a great place to learn.

You can buy lids on eBay pretty cheap and on the net at places like Green Living Australia I haven't heard of anyone using the wax to seal jars these days. And personally I wouldn't do it. Usually once lids have been used they can't be used again but I've heard of people using them a couple of times safely. Might depend on the lid, how it was opened, previous use etc.

So if you use the current lids to give preserves away I'd tell people they are not shelf stable and must be put in the fridge to use within a few weeks.

I can appreciate that since the jars will be given away you might not get them or the lids back so there is a cost associated with that, but what price do you put on safety and people's health. Using and eating the preserves yourself is one thing but when giving them away I think you have to be extra cautious and follow the safety guidelines.

It really isn't too hard and is a lot of fun maybe a little daunting at first but give it ago. So lovely to eat your own preserves. I gave some Blueberry Jam to family for Christmas and they loved it. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Kasalia

Kasalia http://retired2006.blogspot.com.au/ Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
  4. Linda Hipple

Linda Hipple Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Hi the use of wax seals for preserves is very old. I only use sterile jars and new parafin wax for each jar of fruit preserves. The recipies I use are my grate grand mothers' real sugar and salt are used, not corn syrup, and salt w/silicone (for ease of use). I don't encourage this practice if you're new to preserving...for health and sanitation reasons, and accustomed dietary practices(your gut bacteria will complain..lol).