About Begonias

Discussion in 'Other' started by Bea, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Bea

Bea Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Most varieties of begonias are amongst my favourite plants. Except for wax begonias which have never attracted me. My problem is that I cant seem to re-start the tuberous begonias in this climate. I say restart because they always die off. Back in Canada this was normal. The tuber was lifted when dry and stored over winter, then re-started in late spring - always in pots. what am I supposed to do here? I want to go to the local nursery and pick up a variety of tuberous and rex begonias and maybe replace the sad looking Angel Wings. but, I really need to stop spending money on the one kind if I cant keep the plant going. Help.

2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I've never had a lot of success with begonias either Bea.
    Those I now have are either bedding varieties that last two years then die or very basic old fashioned rex.
    Neither my micro-climates nor my water are suitable.
    I think they are very pH sensitive requiring about pH 5.5-6 and also temperature sensitive for the soil too, needing lots of humidity but low soil moisture.
    So getting a tuber going again after resting through winter will involve poor(ish) soil or even just perlite or vermiculite.
    Water once then leave the growing medium to dry out. But maintain humidity by misting around the plant several times daily and prevent drafts especially if the ambient air is dryish.
    Add fertilizer into the misting spray at less than half strength for foliar feeding or give a half strength liquid feed every 3wks.
    If feeding the soil every 3wks, don't water in between those applications.
    After a few weeks there should be new shoots from the tuber which is when you will divide and repot.
    Make sure the water is slightly acid also. If your natural water is a bit alkaline (coming from a lime based ground source) you'll have to add a tiny bit of vinegar.
    No direct sun so either very early morning or late afternoon only. If the plant is outdoors, maintain deep dappled moist shade.

3. Bea

Bea Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    thank you. I have never planted in the ground and like putting all varieties in pots. they are located on the edges of a large covered deck. and receive either some southern or some western sun. - there is a huge tree on the outside of the west wall which stops anything in its pathe from receiving the full brunt of the hot hot afternoon sun. The most success I have had is with a large 'droopy' old fashioned begonia that rarely flowers or compact rex begonias. I have experimented with location for the tuberous ones. they all bloom, then die off. then just sit. i will do what you have suggested and let you know. Just for reference I think the angel wings needs more sun/less shelter. and I have three hanging plants that do so-so on the west side - spider plant, fern, swedish ivy. Definitley what one would call 'dappled' shade/sun. I see spider plants mostly in the ground here so it seems they must like a lot of sun/heat.