nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Abbey Medieval Festival - July 6-7

"We are looking forward to July and presenting the largest Medieval Festival in Australia, our program is nearly complete, our iphone app is under development and we are ready to let the whole of Australia know what a fantastic event we have here in Caboolture."

http://abbeytournament.com/

what it's all about: http://abbeytournament.com/about/what-is-the-abbey-medieval-festival/
==============

There's a fella i know next door at work that does this medieval fighting, or what ever he does, i think he's involved in this so i thought i'd stick it up here. Looks like a fun event if you're in to that stuff. It's got a self sufficient slant to it? :D

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
This is an excellent event! Shamefully I've never been to it but I'm going this Sunday.

My cousin is into the medieval fighting also and cooking demonstrations etc (have to see if he is doing a demo on Sunday and say hello).

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
So we went to the Abbey Medieval Festival today and had a good time. From a self-sufficiency POV (which is what I'm mainly interested in) it was really great to see people enjoying the simple crafts and skills without modern help like making bread, cooking, and tools etc. It was very busy and extremely well organised from a logistics sense - parking and stuff. Family pass cost $68 which does not include entry to the jousting tournament but does give free entry to the Abbey Museum for the next 6 months. Here are some pics below of catapult, birds of prey, bowls etc, cooking, flour grinding/milling, shield making, blacksmith - click to enlarge :)

Abbey medieval festival  2013 catapult.jpg Abbey medieval festival  birds of prey 2013.jpg Abbey medieval festival  bowls and implements 2013.jpg Abbey medieval festival  chicken roasting over fire 2013.jpg Abbey medieval festival  making flour grinding stone.jpg Abbey medieval festival  shield making 2013.jpg Abbey medieval festival  storming the castle.jpg Abbey medieval festival birds of prey 2.jpg Abbey medieval festival birds of prey with man.jpg Abbey medieval festival blacksmith 2013.jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Here's two more images one of bow making and the other a medieval pizza oven (ok it's a bread oven) but this could give us some ideas for our pizza oven thread ;) (Stevo)...
Abbey medieval festival bow and arrow making 2013.jpg

Abbey medieval festival bread pizza oven 2013.jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
the mud oven looks interesting, you could build that down the back paddock :cheers:

The craft stuff was very interesting. They had it set up like little villages (i think they camp there the whole weekend) and you just wonder through watching them cook eat and make things. Obviously they have fighting demos etc and that was interesting too - the kids liked that part.

Now you've got me thinking... a mud oven, down the back yard, hmmm :sneaky:

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Now you've got me thinking... a mud oven, down the back yard, hmmm :sneaky:

that's something your kids could join in on, ... make a small one first for learning, then later you'll need a bigger one for when you host tours and have open days.

Menu:
Roasted or baked Quail with fresh vegetables, Crayfish and Jalapino Pizza, accompanied by home made Cider or Wine. :cheers:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Menu:
Roasted or baked Quail with fresh vegetables, Crayfish and Jalapino Pizza, accompanied by home made Cider or Wine. :cheers:

Sounds nice. I've got a lot of work to do before I get to the stage of open days at my joint! Still haven't chainsawed several timber falls from our last big storm - will get back into it when the kids get back to school. :)

Top Bottom