A few pics from around the garden

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Tim C, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Tim C

Tim C Two heads are better than one Premium Member GOLD

Tamarillo and Peach. Dead stuff is coriander(self-seeding constantly). Groundcover is creeping thyme. camera 396.jpg
    Kangaroo Apple. Last year they were bean size, they're nearly golf balls this year. camera 397.jpg Feral lettuces. camera 404.jpg Russian Tarragon. Peanut left lower. Clove basil left upper . Rosemary and oregano right upper. Exhibition brown onions. camera 405.jpg Sylvestris tobacco re-shooting. Hard to see, but Blue flowered passionfruit on fence- the first passionfruit I have got to germinate out of hundreds of seeds. camera 406.jpg Chines small bottle gourds.8 bags full off 2 bushes last year. camera 407.jpg Chinese flower seed mix, self-seeded from last year. You can't really see them, but there is Night Stock right through everything. It smells beautiful outside at night. And giant zinnia are going to need some thinning. camera 398.jpg My scarlet runner beans lived through winter(just). camera 399.jpg Variegated corn on left and light yellow corn, cross between yellow and white corn. camera 400.jpg Giant pink banana squash. camera 401.jpg Strawberry corn- a red baby corn variety. Summer savory and Milan purple-top turnips. camera 403.jpg Yellow eckendorfs in front and coloured silverbeet behind. Purple cabbages also going to seed. camera 402.jpg

• Love it! Love it! x 2
  2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Your bush setting vegetable garden looks great Tim. Really love it.

How do you keep the weeds down or don't you get many? My garden is crazy with weeds at the moment I'm finding it really hard to keep on top of them! It seems you hardly use any mulch but there's hardly any weeds... How do you do it?

What are those gourds like? I have never grown them but I have a packet of Serpent gourd seeds which I intend to try in Autumn here.

3. Tim C

An hour a day average weeding in the warmer months in the veg garden, but the front garden has a layer of natural mulch that keep the weed numbers down, but broadcast seeds still seem to make their way to the soil layer. The creeping thyme also keeps the weeds out- I think because it has many fine roots near the surface.
    Gourds are interesting, but they take months to dry. Down here, because it's a dry climate I just let them hang, but you may need to shed them up there. Surface mould is to be expected whatever climate- a soak in water with a splash of bleach, then the outer layer just comes off.
    A lot of arty-crafty types love them to paint etc.

4. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Ok thanks - so do you eat the gourds?

Yeah an hour a day weeding is about what I need to do also. Weeding the gardens don't seem to phase me but doing my paths annoy me.

5. Tim C

Maybe you could eat them when very young, but even then I think they would be too bitter.
    I get the logic with the path weeding being a pain. Following a pattern, sort of like painting a house, which I hate.

6. Ken W.

Ken W. Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I use drip irrigation and with not a lot of rainfall the weeds in paths don't get too out of hand. just in case, I've adjusted my beds so I can get the ride-on mower down the lanes to knock them down. It works well here but I'm sure in higher rainfall areas it wouldn't be so successful.

7. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That's a good method and earlier on I did have my patch set-up so my ride-on could mow around the beds and essentially my pathways were lawn; however, I soon ran into the problem of the heavy rain in summer turning the lawn around my beds into a mushy bogway which made gardening and mowing practically impossible.

Hence, I rocked it in and made the pathways around the beds sand with gravel/river rocks 25mil on top and this works a treat at keeping the ground drained and stable even after days of raining. I suppose for the first few years the weeds weren't an issue because it was newly laid and seed free but now it's hell!

I'm looking into synthetic grass to place over the rock gravel/sand pathways (after I add some crushed granite to harden it a little) so I have a weed barrier plus still good drainage - here's my discussion about that...

8. Rhonda

Rhonda Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    In the 9th photo down I spied a solar panel. Is it charging a battery..A friend of mine has one and it charges a huge truck battery fortheir pump. Small pump that is....I am very interested in DIY solar panels I've seen lots in pics but never been able to ask..Sorry I do prattle on LOL