Question 8 Frame vs. 10 Frame ( Bee Boxes )

William Welch

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I am a relatively new beekeeper, about a year and a half. I mainly have 10 frame boxes, and a few 5 frame nucs. The man I do honeybee relocation with ( Randy Oakley, of Oakley Honeybee Removal, out of Waco, TX ) has been switching to 8 frame boxes and seems to really like them. I would love any opinions on 8 frame pros and cons. I do like the fact that they are a bit lighter in weight, as at 55 my back is not always real happy when I lift 80 - 100 lb. honey supers. Randy has so far had good luck doing vertical splits in 8 frame, as well as good honey production. Look forward to hearing what y'all think!

Karla

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I am a relatively new beekeeper, about a year and a half. I mainly have 10 frame boxes, and a few 5 frame nucs. The man I do honeybee relocation with ( Randy Oakley, of Oakley Honeybee Removal, out of Waco, TX ) has been switching to 8 frame boxes and seems to really like them. I would love any opinions on 8 frame pros and cons. I do like the fact that they are a bit lighter in weight, as at 55 my back is not always real happy when I lift 80 - 100 lb. honey supers. Randy has so far had good luck doing vertical splits in 8 frame, as well as good honey production. Look forward to hearing what y'all think!
I have 10 frame hives and am looking to switch to 8. Had them once before and the bees did great. Like you said the lighter the better. I am also looking into a Langstroth long hive. No more storage of boxes, only lift frames as you add or remove. It is rather pricey and you will have to pick it up but it has all the features for good care of your bees. Great Lakes Bee Keeping Supplies

William Welch

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I have 10 frame hives and am looking to switch to 8. Had them once before and the bees did great. Like you said the lighter the better. I am also looking into a Langstroth long hive. No more storage of boxes, only lift frames as you add or remove. It is rather pricey and you will have to pick it up but it has all the features for good care of your bees. Great Lakes Bee Keeping Supplies
I've also heard them called horizontal hives. The youtube channel, Off Grid with Doug and Stacy, uses long boxes and they like them. May try to build one myself.

Karla

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I ordered one made just last night. Excited to get it in and set up. I didn’t use horizontal to describe it because I was concerned some may have thought I was talking about a horizontal deep hive and not one that uses 9 3/4 “ frames like we use in a Langstroth. Thanks for the feed back. I appreciate it.

Top Bottom