Gardening 7 new raised beds

Dale

Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have just set up 7 new garden beds but i fear I have missed the beginning of the growing season. I am sitting here with my bag of 1000 worms which I will add direct to bed this afternoon. I am interested in egyptian walking onions and egyptian spinach as well as the panama berry plant. Could you tell me where these can be purchased. And thanks you so much for your wonderful informative videos. I am a visual person and trying to learn from a book is difficult.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
You're never too late for growing! It just depends on what you'll want to grow. I see your climate is Sub-Tropical. I'm in the same climate and I grow year-round. Admittedly, I'm starting myself off a little late this year as well, but so far my plants look healthy and happy!
Depending on if you aspire to grow from seed or from seedlings you could order what you need online. It might be harder to find nearby, maybe you might get lucky in a local nursery or botanic garden. Our botanic garden sells rare tree saplings as well, which attract a rare butterfly (the name has escaped me for the moment).

Did you know, Mark is working on setting up his live-stream setup. So in the near future (couple of weeks maybe) he might be livestreaming! If you join in you can ask your questions and there's a chance for Mark to answer them right then and there. :D

desman

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Dale, 7 new beds?!?! Awesome. I’m jealous. Think I’m the opposite to you: I grow 107 new seedlings and have no beds to put them in 😀.

are you in Australia? I see you’re subtropical. If you’re in Australia there is a great online seed (and sometimes plant) business called Green Harvest. They have a range of seeds particularly suited for hot climates. I bought a heap from them in August but I’m still waiting to plant some seeds as it needs to be a little hotter still yet. So you have heaps of time to plant and get a harvest and as Mandy said you should be able to grow year round (the pests are the thing I find inhibitive to harvest in the subtropics, not the climate). Also, if you have a local, independent green grocer or markets you could go there and find some useful things to plant. I went down to mine to get some ginger: came back with a heap of ginger, sunchokes, sweet potato, Queensland Arrowroot and unusual normal potato. The sales assistant asked me what I was cooking but I sheepishly explained it was for planting 😂.
At least if you have 7 beds you have somewhere to put stuff you buy/grow.
happy gardening

HelenCate

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I could send you some topsets from my walking onions when they are ready, some time in Summer. If you haven't already found some by then. Maybe try a local Community Garden for both the onions and spinach. I love community gardens for sourcing odd things. I just picked up some water chestnuts yesterday and now I will be setting up a couple of bogs for them,

DragonLady

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I could send you some topsets from my walking onions when they are ready, some time in Summer. If you haven't already found some by then. Maybe try a local Community Garden for both the onions and spinach. I love community gardens for sourcing odd things. I just picked up some water chestnuts yesterday and now I will be setting up a couple of bogs for them,
*drool* water chestnuts are my favourite!
Can you please tell me what the name of the onions are that you are growing? I bought some seeds but they say that I shouldn't plant them until it is cooler. I'm in North Brisbane :)

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Could you tell me where these can be purchased.
It really depends on where you are but the good news is these types of exotic plants are being sold by more and more people online all around the world. Do a Google search for "buy Egyptian walking onions or tree onions" and you will likely find several online stores in your state or country that sell them.

I constantly look for new food crops to try because I love tasting new foods and also the challenge of growing them. It's always a compromise for me because there are so many to choose but I have limited time and space in the garden to grow them all. Every new season, I try something new - it's a ton of fun :thumbsup:

Top Bottom