1000 Messages Posted!

Discussion in 'Chin Wag' started by Mark, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Happy 1000 messages everyone! :popcork:

Banner Frog congratulations 1000 messages.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Mark: 462

I remember when I joined Mark was on about 100 messages, I think that was one years worth? Looks what's happened in a few months :nuts:... lucky Steve and I came along otherwise Mark would be talking to himself :tease:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member

Hell yeah.
    Any idea who posted the winning 1000th message? And what's the prize?
    Let me guess, a bucket of chicken manure to kick start that next crop? :nuts:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    three peoples combined posts are 895 of the 1000, everyone else is a bit slack :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I just checked my email and saw the SSC email.

quote:
    ==========
    Secondly, we want to thank those who have shown faith in SSC by keeping consistently active over the past 2 months (since the major upgrade). Your contribution is valued and has added renewed life and excitement to the forum overall. Thank you
    ==========

cheers, no one else will listen to my crap :hysterical:..... hopefully we can bring some enthusiasm to the site. I'm always wondering around the net looking at websites and forums, most i've seen don't have much activity or they were active years ago and all the knowledgable members have moved on. This might be a small forum but it's positive and there's some good things happening.

PS. don't let any more people called Steve join :secret:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Steve

Cheers to Stevo and Steve. I'm celebrating tonight with a black label Jim Beam a mate of mine bought back from overseas for me.
    You're right Stevo, we are running out of variations of Steve. I suppose we could use Stevie, or even Steven hasn't been used I'm guessing. :think:

I agree that this is a site that is both positive and constructive. No-one is hanging **** on each other for having a go which is what turns me off other sites. If you dont agree with what someone else is doing then theres a nice way to say it without rubbing their face in it. No-one knows it all so putting your ideas up on a forum takes some guts and by cutting them down doesn't help anyone.
    It's probably hard to regulate what type of people use the forum and so far Stevo hasn't had a go at me :D so this site is a winner. You never know what the collective wisdom of 3 people can achieve. :nuts:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yes yes yes... you guys are funny :rolleyes:

Truthfully, you're dead right about the email "thank you" being directed at you two and even though no one else is getting involved ATM you've both generated significantly more interest in our forum. It's a matter of time before we have more like minded members who aren't afraid to have a chat and "get" the holistic self-sufficiency meaning like we do.

I'd say we're not too far off having enough interesting content and activity to start coaxing some more self-sufficiency members onto SSC who seriously want to interact and not just look. In the forum admin world the jargon term for people who join forums but don't post is "lurkers" - I just learn't that the other day :D

In case you didn't notice, as of today our membership has reduced from 108 to 52 (just had a new sign up actually @jerrysherry - you're welcome here!) - it was time to prune the membership down as some members haven't returned since the day they signed up over 12 months ago!

Anyway, the next 1000 messages is something I'm looking forward to because I really enjoy not talking to myself and the last few months have been really great here and I'm totally happy with the progress of our forum so far. I love talking about self-sufficiency!!!! :cheer:

8. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    As sure as night follows day, someone will sign up with a Steve variation now that you've said it - now that's going to get confusing...

I agree about some other sites being rather hostile - it's one reason why I decided to create SSC and I hope we can keep this style as we grow so everyone can feel comfortable to ask questions and give advice without thinking about it too hard.

It's interesting how many email questions I get each week - lately, I've been requesting people to join the forum and ask the question here... no takers - but they'll go through the trouble of filling in the contact form on the bottom of the page ... :dunno: If only I could some how make it less daunting (for want of a better word) for new forum users to post they'd soon find out what fun it can be.

9. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Steve, my neighbours call me Wilson, from Tim the tool man? because i'm the bloke next door that's always doing wierd things and i stick my head over the fence and talk to them. They used to call me Farmer Steve, then it was the Bee farmer, so it could be something else next month.

Mark, this forum is has a good community feel about it, which is usually something that bigger / older forums tend to lose. There's something to be said for new or small forums.

PS. Mark, i wouldn't get too stressed about making the forum bigger, we just do what we do and people might come and go.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steve

Ah that's cool. I used to love Wilson (in a manly way). Such a humble but knowledgeable man.
    It's funny too as you never got to see his face in the show...just like your avatar with the camera covering your face. :ROFL:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nina

Nina Well-Known Member

Well done Fellas ( a team effort) :cheers:

12. Steve

Hi Nina, a team effort indeed. Welcome.
    I see you too are a Queenslander. Excellent.
    I'm guessing your cat avatar is someone special in your world. Would you like to share his/her name?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    She's my other half Steve. Likes to get on and have a read occasionally... :)
    Cat was Monash - a big Tommy died of old age a few years ago. He was a good cat but geez it could pee!

14. Steve

Ah I see. Sorry missed that memo.
    Sorry about Monash. (did I put my foot in it?)

Pee? That's an interesting claim to fame.

15. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Nah no foot :D

Yeah, its ability to fill a new litter box full of urine overnight was amazing and drove me nuts. :nuts: When he died my work load decreased dramatically!

16. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    another month and another 500 posts.

It's a bit quiet at work today so i'm googling, youtubing, ebaying :cheers:

17. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    It adds up doesn't it!

I've been trying to tidy up some categories to make navigation more sensible and get rid of some which I thought was a good idea at the time but obviously wasn't :oops: It's interesting for me how this forum has evolved over a few months - and there's some good information on here (now that it's not just me peddling my own canoe) :D

Sometimes it's good to have a "quiet day at work" and do a bit of surfing (particularly on a Friday).

18. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I've noticed some changes! Good to see continual work being done. I agree with trying to simplify forums, too many forums have way too many categories or sub forums. I think you should start with basic categories and once there's enough content built up THEN you can create a new category and move content in to it. Too many sites create 50 categories and subforums and it's a nightmare to navigate and they all look empty. Best to have a small "busy looking" forum with chaotic posts than a vast desert.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. steve h

steve h Active Member Premium Member

Spring here and growing starting hopefully I will have a bit more to say, I am away for work most weeks but am already enjoying logging on to see whats new

• Like Like x 2
  20. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    yer as it warms up i expect to see some wild action on here :heat: