stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thanks Mark, I chuckle a bit, it's completely out of style with the house and garage but it's the style I would choose if I built a shack to live in on my imaginary off grid/self sufficient block of land, so it's a bit of a self indulgent project.

Costs... slab was $1000, and I'd guess the rest of materials like timber and screws might be around $1000, I even bought a new cordless drill for $200, so i'm guessing it might be a total of $2500 ? Still a fair bit of money, but as you say have saved a fair bit along the way. From the standard garden sheds I looked at I think a 5m x 3m shed may have cost me $3000 to $5000? (with a slab)

I wanted the big door space for good access, I plan to make double doors, timber frame with corrugated tin, one can be closed all the time and one used for access, and on Saturday morning I can open both a sit there with a coffee and watch the chickens :cheers:... I don't mind "sit down time" in the garden looking at how awesome everything is.

In my new workshop I plan to build bee hives, wakeskates (like a wakeboard with no boots) and old wooden signs.

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Awesome work Stevo. Very nicely done. :)

The look of it is perfect for your shack idea. It's very shack-like and humble.
I love the way there's a beer bottle sitting on the bench. It's a nice touch.

Looking forward to seeing the projects you have planned to do in the workshop. They all sound pretty interesting.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I had a bit of a break over Easter, but this last weekend I did some more, .....I have doors! I made a full frame in place and then cut it in half. The right door has a bolt top and bottom, and the left door is the main one that hinges open first. I've used a normal house door handle/lock set so it has a key. I also have a tap on the side, you can see it when the doors are closed. This comes from the water tank and is only gravity fed at the moment.

shackers.net_images_photos_worksheddoorsopen_26042014.jpg

shackers.net_images_photos_worksheddoorsclosed_26042014.jpg

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
cheers Mark, yeah pretty happy with it, but with anything custom made it's a heap of little fiddly work and make it up as you go along kind of thing. Still a heap of little things to finish off, but I never finish anything, I just get it to a useable stage and then go on to the next project :blush:

Lee-Mika

Premium Member
Wonderful effort Stevo, I can only hope mine turns out that well. Thanks for sharing it.. Aww you are getting into bees Stevo?

Director

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Heh, great job. Did you install skylights or is there enough light there already?

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
hrm, Good point, I just looked at the photos don't show the skylights. I'll get some new photos. But yes, there's skylights and they provide heaps of light to work with.

I've also put a back door in where a window used to be

Top Bottom