Question Why does one of my chooks 'cluck' like crazy?

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
So I've got a couple of new Australorps but only had them a couple of weeks.
Together they have assumed the 'Queen of the Roost' status and are definitely the bosses now.

I've noticed that one of them will just start clucking at the top of her lungs normally standing in the doorway to their house. First time I heard it I thought a fox had got in and was attacking. When I got down there I couldn't find anything amiss. It normally goes on for a few minutes, maybe 5 at most.

She has since done it a few more times that I've heard but each time I go investigate there's nothing.

Is it a warning cluck for the other chooks as to a potential predator or is she a little weird?

I'd love to know in case something is wrong I might need to fix the problem.... :feedchooks:

Cheers,
Steve

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Supposedly chooks cluck right after laying their egg.
But it more likely seems to be when they are alarmed.
Given that chooks have amazing eye sight particularly in the upward direction, I would guess that eagle is still flying over.
Do you also notice them going ramrod stiff also? They tend to turn to statues when predators fly over whereas they will run when a snake comes around.
Did you get your pen closed in, Steve?

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
I checked for an eagle but no. Maybe she did just lay an egg. Let's hope that's all it was.

The pen/free-range area now has a net over it. Big job. There is a gap of about 60cm between the fence and the net which although not ideal, will stay for now. If these massive eagles can negotiate through that gap, grab a chook, and then somehow take off again without getting tangled in the fence or net, then maybe they are better aviators then I give them credit for. It does feel very safe under the net now. :thumbsup:

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
letsgotravelaustralia.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yeah they usually cluck when they lay an egg but not all do it. We have had ones that carry on like pork chops for ages and when you check they are just letting the world know they laid a lovely egg.

They also cluck if there are any predators or they are just not happy. I could see the chooks from my back door so I’d just stick my head out and have a check since we do get snakes here.

Top Bottom