Question Why do I need to wait for mushroom compost to go white?

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
So I have opened my oyster mushroom kit up and in the directions it states to "wait until compost has turned completely white before starting growing." Can someone tell me why? Does it mean the spores have started growing or something? And, also my kit mushroom compost isn't white at all (there's no white anywhere) so how long do I need to wait for my compost to actually go white? :confused:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
posted 46minutes ago.

is it white yet? :whistles:

what makes it turn white, does opening the kit trigger the start somehow? or light or air flow or something?
I don't think it needs to be opened? Here's the instructions:

oyster mushroom kit growing instructions crop.jpg

Edit: no it's not white - not even close...

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I've got an answer from the seller:

Hi Mark
The compost need to be completely white, because this is when it is at its strongest point to produce a flower which is the mushroom. The white compost which is called mycelium will just keep on growing but what triggers it to produce a flower is the casting layer you put on top. I hope this helps.
Cheers Paul A

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
so does that help? Does he explain what triggers it to turn white? Casting layer that who puts on top? Did you put a casting layer on top? The white triggers the flower, but what triggers the white? o_O

Is it white yet?
Yep - I hear ya :rolleyes:

You know, I also requested they respond to my email directly onto the forum and I offered to give their business a free "plug" too - I gave them a link and everything but that was the only response I got.
And no - the compost is not even near white yet...sigh, I think I've been taken, hook, line, and sinker with this mushy kit ... :hook:

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sorry Mark, that's probably my bad for planting the seed in your head. Next year I'm gonna start earlier with my mushies and have another go.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Not your fault Steve I still think it was a good exercise and now we know lol :) thanks for planting the seed :thumbsup: I'm not going to give up on growing mushies in fact I'm more determined than EVER. We'll get there mate... ;)

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
You'd think if they were selling them, the manufacturers and retailers would be confident that the product is going to work and not be out of season or something?
That's a good point and it does anger me a little that no seasonal warnings were on the pack and the websites had limited information also. I guess there would be a good case to return the pack and get a refund.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
They probably know that it's a bit "hit and miss" and hope the customers don't bring them back. You could email that fella again, and see how helpfull he is, as there'd be no guarantee that it'd work next year either. Should they grow all year round?

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
I'm happy to protest march on Bunnings with you holding up signs like "mushrooms have feelings too..." And "all is lost with my compost...".

Sounds like they tell you just enough to entice the beginner. Once they have your money their 'care factor' goes out the door.

Sorry to hear it didn't work. Our plans for next year need more thought and pre-planning.

armysnail

Premium Member
Dont give up. I am not familiar with your kit but I used to grow kit mushrooms years ago. In the dark ages we would cover them with the peat moss supplied and add about a litre of water to the box to keep it moist and start the growth. Things might have changed depending on the mushroom. Mushrooms are a fungi, i.e the life of a party. ( Sorry dad joke.) The actual fungi are called mycelium which look like white threads. Fungi feed on dead wood or other plant material which is normally straw in a kit. When they grow to a certain size they produce fruit containing spores which is the mushroom. I'm not sure if temperature causes the fruiting or other factors but I am about to read this article which may have your answers.

http://permaculturenews.org/2013/09/06/making-mushroom-growing-sustainable-part-1-the-set-up/

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
So I read that article

mushrooms can be grown between 10-25ºC, making them a great crop for the cooler months depending on your location.

I'm probably going to just keep my kit sitting here in my study until next winter by the sounds of it...

I could just open it and chuck the whole thing in a log down the back in a nice cool spot and see how it goes on its own?

Top Bottom