Question Why do I need to wait for mushroom compost to go white?

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Mark, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Joseph Isaac

Joseph Isaac Active Member Premium Member

Guys, did you continue this project? I am thinking of doing mushroom a try by the end of the month. Any tips that you can share?

2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Mine never got off the ground Joseph because I purchased my mushroom pack on the cheap at the wrong time :(

From what I can gather mushrooms like a cool damp situation so growing them in a hot climate can be a bit tricky. However home grown mushrooms are becoming increasingly popular and here in oz I've noticed 5 or 6 varieties now instead of the standard button ones.

I'm not sure about warmer climate varieties - it's probably worth researching more...

3. Joseph Isaac

What variety have you tried? I went to a local agriculture center and they told me they got Oyster and Milky White varieties atm. Have you ever tried those? I think buttons will indeed be tricky to grow here.

4. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I haven't tried any yet because the ones I purchased didn't go white (the compost mix) so it never worked - well, I can't say that I even tried it as I couldn't get past step 1...

The oyster ones or other skinny types would be best to try in hot climates during the cooler parts of the year.

5. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member

I'm with Mark, the Bunnings box we got just didnt progress the way they should.
    I'm guessing they were button variety.

I'll be watching with interest Joseph how yours go. Good luck mate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    What about shiitake @Joseph Isaac they would grow well where you are wouldn't they?

7. Joseph Isaac

I've done a little research and it says that shiitake indeed grows well in my place. However due to lack of gov't support it still remains unpopular among mushroom growers. I'm hoping I will be able to attend the "mushroom growing seminar" at the end of the month and apply whatever I'll learn there. I'll keep you guys updated once I start.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ken W.

Ken W. Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Not sure of what brand kit you bought Mark but this Youtube clip explains a little about the white cover and the time factor. Hope it helps.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Very good @Ken W. nice simple video - I assume the white stuff must be the very start of the spores developing...

10. Comfort

Comfort Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Mushroom kits from bunnings are a rip off.

In cooler months if you want cheap mushrooms go to a mushroom farm and by the mushroom compost bags. Give them a quick misting with the hose and put a tarp over them... lift up every few days and harvest....

I bought 25 bags from a swiss brown mushroom farm for my ibc wicking beds. Used 19 of them and left 6 of them with a tarp covering and was super excited to find them chock a block . I kept harvesting for a couple of months and they kept growing and growing. I estimate we had 3 5 or 6 buckets of mushrooms....and if you have purchased Swiss Brown's you know how much they are worth...

The good thing is that when they do stop they are great to mix into the garden...

The place I got them from is on the southside of a brisbane at Tambourine village.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Comfort

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    The bags cost $3 each unless you bought pallet which I think is 25 ... and that's $50

12. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I can get bags from a mushie farm at Palmwoods on any Friday after 1pm for $1 bag.
    I just rock up & the rooms that are being cleaned out are opened ready for people to help themselves.
    The money is dropped off at the office at the end of the driveway.

It's dim, dirty, wet work but worth the effort. Their bags are flat rectangular & not very high & often fall apart as they are lifted up which might be why they are cheap.

13. Comfort

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Found this.... http://littleecofootprints.typepad.com/little_eco_footprints/2010/07/growing-mushrooms.html

Which is exactly what I do... the bags look the same.... and I put a tarp over it... only ever done it in the cooler months..

If you can get them for a dollar they are fantastic value... free mushrooms and cheap compost for your garden.

To move the bags get a ply board little bit bigger than the bags and slide that under the bags for support. Helps give them some strength because as you found out they like to fall apart.

14. Comfort

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    What are the mushroom?? Cheaper white mushrooms... flats or buttons.... or premium like Swiss browns or portobello? ? If the later, that's amazing score...

15. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Comfort, the bags I usually get are a combo of several types.
    Each of their rooms contains a variety of types.
    The swiss & portabellas seem to continue to grow best.
    I now have wild swiss mushroom circles in the orchard mostly.
    So far, I have allowed the fruiting bodies to spore & die to promote more fungus for next year rather than harvest all the buttons.

I have 2 types of wild mushies in the paddocks. Both I think called horse mushrooms.
    But quite a difference between them.
    One type is about 6-10cm across, quite firm, have a slight purple tinge to the outer part of the cap, purple to brown gills & open quite flat but always with the frill flange on the stem.

The other type is smaller, very fragile, more pink gills & can have a slight yellow tinge to the cap in the middle region & the cap has a hump in the middle moreso than being flat when opened.
    The fragile variety gets blown through their tops quite early in the morning so have to be eaten for brekkie.
    Otherwise don't wear glasses! :p

• Like Like x 2
  16. Comfort

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Having eaten the "wrong" mushrooms before.... I don't pick wild mushrooms !!

So you have used the purchased packs of mushroom compost to continue to grow mushrooms at home from the bag....??
    Did you cover them with a tsrp or just put in a dark room?

How lucky are you... $1 per bag and a range of varieties.... sounds like for the $1 price you have to do the heavy and dirty work yourself... but that would be fine by me....

@Mark this sounds like a perfect solution for you if you are on the North side. .. more mushrooms than you could eat incling premium varities like Swiss brown mushrooms and portobellos for $10 that also makes an excellent garden compost when they stop sprouting....

17. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yes you bet! Definitely have to investigate this, thanks :thumbsup:

18. Comfort

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I only used 19 of my 25 slabs in my garden setup leaving 6 stacked 3x2 deep... I chucked a tarp over them to stop them drying out and when I pulled it back I had stacks of mushrooms. I did a couple of flushes and then unstacked the top 3.

I was rewarded with buckets of Swiss Brown mushrooms for a couple of months. I know that farm sold boxes of Swiss Browns for $20 which meant from my 6 slabs I prob grew about $60+... or more at those little tub prices you see in woollies.

1. Mushrooms on toast for breakfast
    2. Steak and Mushrooms
    3. Chicken and mushroom pie
    4. Cheese and mushroom jaffles
    5. And many more

Delicious !!!

If I would have used all 25 slabs I would have been swimming in them.

From what I can work out you need to find the small farms. They sell the substrate bags straight out of the grow room so they continue to grow mushrooms if you don't disturb them too much. The larger farms pile it all up and sell it in truck load quantities which is great for the garden but no good for growing mushrooms.

Sometimes they call it spent mushroom substrate or just mushroom compost which is probably misleading as it is not composted mushrooms but composted straw and chicken manure underneath and peat on top which has been innoculate with spores.

Here is another site that discusses the practice... http://green-change.com/2009/01/17/growing-mushrooms-from-mushroom-compost/

• Like Like x 2
  19. OskarDoLittle

OskarDoLittle Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    We have a wine cellar which is conditioned with a special wine conditioner to keep humidity higher. It's constantly 16deg. I thought it would be perfect for mushrooms so I bought some boards from the nursery, followed the instructions and just ended up with black mold all over the boards. I figure as most wine doesn't come with corks (caps instead) these days that keeping mushrooms with the wine would be OK and not damage the wine. Anyone know whether this is safe? Any ideas as to whether a bag of mushie compost might work better in the cellar?

20. Comfort

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Can only try... the compost bags are certainly easier and cheaper and even if it fails you still have great compost for the garden. The thing about the bags is that they have been harvesting already....you are just going to be picking the flushes that the farmers find uneconomicAl.