What wood chipper mulcher should I buy?

Olly

Premium Member
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
i bought the 20HP michigan one it works fine is fairly well built and came with quite a few spare parts it's good for fruit tree prunings and the occasional small branches but i'd like something that does bigger branches for around the farm it's just not quite as useful as i would have liked
Just stumbled across on eBay that claims to be over 60% off the usual price. Seems too good to be true. What do you think Mark?

15hp Ducar Michigan Commercial Series Wood Chipper for $799
bought

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Not far from me is a guy who rents out his big machine to do mulching & chipping. It is one of those big things towed behind his truck.
He can also take the chips away if you cant use them.
But he can also drop off a large pile if you want more although he does charge by the m3 but its not a lot.
He comes to your property & if you have spent the time to gather all the dead fall or cut up trees into a pile it takes him no time so the cost is not that great.
It sure beats spending $1800+ on a machine you might only use 2-3 times a year.
And yes you would then also have to pay for the maintenance of the beast!

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
i bought the 20HP michigan one it works fine is fairly well built and came with quite a few spare parts it's good for fruit tree prunings and the occasional small branches but i'd like something that does bigger branches for around the farm it's just not quite as useful as i would have liked

bought
Good stuff mate. Thanks for sharing that. You'd think that with 20hp of power behind it the machine should be able to get through anything you put through it.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
i bought the 20HP michigan one it works fine is fairly well
Is this the mulcher you got? If so, what do you think of the top chute - does it do a good job shredding leaves, and handfuls of small garden waste?

The reason I ask, is my Ozito does small branches etc pretty well but it's awful to feed in loose stuff like leaves and small twigs.

Universalpuzzle

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
What about PTO chippers? I’m looking for a good one.. we have 73 acres..and we need to redo all the fences , so we will mulch A lot of weed trees.. mainly tea tree. We something that can handle 4 inches .. any bigger it’s worth hanging on to for the fire. .. we are also in the bush.. so it’s not a quick trip to hire this.

Lucas

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
What about PTO chippers? I’m looking for a good one.. we have 73 acres..and we need to redo all the fences , so we will mulch A lot of weed trees.. mainly tea tree. We something that can handle 4 inches .. any bigger it’s worth hanging on to for the fire. .. we are also in the bush.. so it’s not a quick trip to hire this.
Mark got a HANSA Chipper/shredder one he did a video on
have a look and maybe he can give some feedback on it

Cheers Lucas

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Universalpuzzle, welcome!
If I was doing the job you described, I'd hire a big machine or just get a guy in with an even bigger machine after the excavator or bobcat has pulled out all the trees.

The big commercial truck mounted chippers do an amazing job and very fast too. You'd be flat out keeping up with them.

To buy a good chipper big enough to do your job would cost about $15000.
Much easier to hire a big easy to use machine for a week.

Top Bottom