Weeping fig and macadamia

Melanie

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hello all
I am looking for tips and advice please . I have recently become the owner of a weeping fig tree about two meters tall in a rather small pot and two little macadamia trees one is only 18 months old and one is about 2.5 years old . I live in a rental so really want to keep them in pots. I think they all need bigger pots to be more comfortable but was always told to report in warmer months. they are all living outside and get morning sun. we do get some frost in the morning in winter . what do I need to do to keep the macadamia trees healthy and happy in pots and given that the weeping fig looks healthy except for the size of the pot should it be reported or left and just given some food and water and lots of love from the morning sun. I live in the Hunter valley in NSW.
20200514_190644.jpg
thanks for any help you guys can give .

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Melanie,
I don't know if you've seen those material bags some people plant trees in, I don't know what they are called but you can get good sized ones and when the roots of the tree get to the side of the bag, they air prune themselves. You can get good sized bags and I'd try to sit them in a good sized saucer for the summer time just so the soil doesn't dry out completely? I think if you google 'grow bags' you'll see what I'm talking about and just try to find some more information, perhaps on you tube or something?

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
The fig can be cut off at the fork where it looks like its been cut off before. Then repot after root pruning half the roots away too. Use new potting mix and repot into the same pot or as Vicky suggests use one of those root pruning bags.
The two macadamias probably need to be given away or sold or donated to the community gardens because they don't like being root pruned and resent top pruning and will eventually die if their roots get too constricted.

Top Bottom