Weather Station

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
After 30 odd years of making many impassioned hints to my family & close friends regarding what I would like to receive for xmas or birthday gift, that all fell on deaf ears, I gave in & got the thing for myself!

Its a Devanti Weather Station which I purchased on special deal on ebay last week.

It's all singing, all dancing, solar powered, except it requires me to download the app onto my phone which is not possible here.
I was hoping to just get it onto my pc. So I cant make the spread sheet or publish its data to the web.
The reason it knows storms are coming is from historical data from others who have published data. I wanted to also do that.
Not to worry, it is bringing me hours of joy daily. ;)
I got it set up just in time for this hot weather.
See the temps! Here is a collage of yesterday & today.
Also note the indoor temp!! :shock:
Old Qld'ers might be great houses but they do get a tad hot inside! lol

weather station readout 13Jan18.jpg

Lois

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Wow what a fabulous and mind blowing thing. It is a bit too much for me. Looks great though.
We're still on look out the wndows on every side of the house as we've been getting changes in weather from every direction.
I look forward to some new weather reporting from you.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Lovely little unit!

Gosh, one could have some fun with that... I'm such a sucker for gadgets :)

The problem with the general weather guide is it doesn't take into account the microclimate on your own property, which can be quite different to the forecast.

Nice display - like the colours.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yes Mark thats very true & one reason why I wanted to add data from this location to the general area data.
Its not until you see the second to second read outs that you realize how different this locale is to the average of this general area.
After being here a couple years I realized this place was in a rain shadow & it didn't take me long then to work out just where the rain stopped.
I also felt strongly that the temps here were quite a lot higher than the average of the area.

Today was a classic example of that. See the photo of the read out below right after a small storm passed over. Who would have known that minute to minute the temp can fluctuate so dramatically? And who would have thought that there were (what I call) 'streams' of intensely hot air flowing past. The station has picked them up on several occasions & I was lucky enough to be infront if the read out as it registered one such stream. It went right up then down again within a minute as a small wind gust went by.

The temps we see on the TV every night are averages even if they are supposed to be the highest recorded for the day, these micro spikes don't get registered usually.
Its this type of locally diverse data that will give the forecasts far greater accuracy. It's no wonder I sometimes feel like I am walking through a stream of dragon's breath!

In the instructions it says to give it a month to generate enough new data to mix with its existing info to make more accurate forecasts.

weather station readout 14Jan18-1.jpg

This afternoon the humidity is way down at only 29%. I went outside a short while ago & felt like I was in an oven. It was hard to breathe & I felt crispy dry. My hands went all shrivelled up! lol

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Looks great, and sophisticated. I'm convinced though that it is tough on the little machine to rely on it for weather forecasting, especially rainfall. That is dependant on so many variables that change with the wind, but the data is definitely very useful.

Top Bottom