ways to use a glut of chillies and capsicums

TinaBen

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)

We are still novices at growing in the poly tunnel (2 years now) and made the mistake of planting / sowing too many of the same plants in the first year. This is how we dealt with our glut of cayenne chilies and capsicums. We still have the chili paste in the freezer 1 year on!!
IMG_1129-1 (Medium).jpg

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Chilies grow so easily! Yes, very easy to end up with too many!
Such a shame most of us don't eat them or eat just a very small amount.
Welcome Tina and Ben!

However, being successful at growing something is a good way to ease into learning about growing vegetables in general.
It keeps a good degree of enthusiasm going because growing your own food is not that easy or simple.
If we didn't have these fantastic wins to prompt us along, we might just give up.

TinaBen

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Chilies grow so easily! Yes, very easy to end up with too many!
Such a shame most of us don't eat them or eat just a very small amount.
Welcome Tina and Ben!

However, being successful at growing something is a good way to ease into learning about growing vegetables in general.
It keeps a good degree of enthusiasm going because growing your own food is not that easy or simple.
If we didn't have these fantastic wins to prompt us along, we might just give up.

Thanks ClissAT !!

Simone Pennington

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hello TinaBen, just came across this post. To use up our chillies and capsicums we have been making Chillie-Jelly or Chillie Jam, it is lovely to have with cold meats and cheeses. I do not know if I am allowed to name the person, whose recipe we have been using. She is a famous lady from the UK, not a trained chef, but big tv personality. The recipe we use is from her Christmas cookbook. Maybe you get who she is... The method is a no brainer, works everytime, tried it with red and yellow of both veggies, we find that red produces the better result, it is also wonderful to give away as a gift as well.

Justin M

Permaculture enthusiast
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
My absolute favourite recipe to use up a mixed batch of chilli and capsicum is for chilli jam. Is absolutely delicious with a cheese platter or in toasted sandwiches.
See below:

300g red chilli (a mix of hot and mild)
300g red capsicum
600ml apple cider vinegar
300ml pear cider vinegar
300ml white vinegar
2kg jam setter sugar

Prepare and sterilise jars.

Remove seeds and pith from chilli and capsicum. Process chilli and capsicum in a food processor until in fine pieces.

Warm vinegar I'm a pot over medium heat, add sugar and wait for it to dissolve (do not stir).

Add chilli and capsicum mix and bring to a rolling boil. Boil for 10 minutes (do not stir). Fill while jars and jam are still hot.

Leave to cool, overnight usually works for me.

Top Bottom