stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Just for a bit of fun I thought I'd post up my current project, getting ready for the xmas ski camp.

I think it's relevant to being self sufficient, with this same method you can build lots of things, like furniture for your house :maketinker:

A Wakeskate is similar to a Wakeboard but has no boots, you just stand on top like a skateboard. I made one last year and it worked well but was a bit big and heavy, I designed it like that as a beginner board, bigger boards are easier to ride etc.

pics of last years board.
wakeskate_122014.jpg

and me riding it...

steveonwakeskate.jpg

This year I'm making a new one, smaller and lighter. I'm not sure how this will go as there's a higher chance it could break as it will be thinner.

Step 1. Get some ply wood, 4mm thick, draw the basic shape so you know where you're going to end up. Cut two pieces just as rectangles with a bit of extra material around your drawn shape. Depending what you're making you may need to cut more sheets to achieve your finished thickness but I'm only doing two pieces here.

wakeskate_12122015a.jpg

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Step 2. I used Exterior Wood Glue, poor it on one side of the plywood and use a bit of cardboard or plastic to spread the glue evenly all over one side of the plywood.

Place the 2nd piece of plywood on top of the first piece so they are being glued together.

Bend them to the desired shape. I made a jig to do this so it was easier and gives me the right shape I'm after and is very even. The jig allowed the plywood to be squeezed together at the same time as being curved.

The middle of the Wakeskate remains flat and the ends are curved up. You could juggle bits of wood around and use them as spacers if you wanted to change the curve.
wakeskate_12122015b.jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
You're a clever cookie Stevo that looks great!

It certainly is relevant to self-sufficiency - I mean ya can't get more DIY than that :twothumbsup:

Just in time for the summer holiday season hey :)

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
cheers Mark. You could use this method to make things like a sand board for the sand dunes, or a chair with a curved seat for example.

Step: 3. Once it has been left to dry, remove it from the jig and cut the finished shape with a jigsaw (or what ever saw you have). It's hard to see the curve in this photo.
wakeskate_131215_cutshape.jpg

After I cut the shape I sanded all the edges down so it was all smooth.

Step 4. As part of the design, I glued some long thin strips along the top and bottom of the board. These will help provide support for the board and also help make the board go straight in the water. I'll get a better photo that shows this later. I played with some paint, made a bit of a mess of it, but hopefully will get better as I go.
wakeskate_131215_strippaint.jpg

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Step 5. I fibreglassed both sides. Cut some fiberglass matting to the rough shape.

wakeskate_151215a.jpg

Spread resin on the surface and then lay the matting on and go over it with a brush and more resin. Add a few extra bits over the fins for strength.

wakeskate_151215b.jpg

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Step 6. Worry that it's not strong enough and buy some more fiberglass matting.

I found applying the resin with a small foam roller gave a nicer finish. The brush strokes looked a bit rough.

I made a sticker for it and fiberglassed over top of it with another layer of matting to provide some more strength. I think the sticker should have been paper and not vinyl as the resin didn't stick in some random spots, ohwell.. that doesn't matter. You could also make a stencil and spray can your design on, then resin over the top.

It's almost complete...
wakeskate191215web.jpg

Last edited:

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Just got back from camping. The board performed well, and didn't break. The heaviest person to ride it was 105kg. Eight people rode the board and more wanted to have a try but we ran out of time amongst the other activities. At the end of the camp everyone that rode it, signed it..just for a laugh... there were the usual "Team Rider" jokes... and now the board is priceless as it's been signed.

... the bad news, I couldn't get up on it which is a bit embarrassing . but not really.. it was a laugh. I think it was too small for my low skill level. (It's easier to get up on a larger board).

Now I have to design and make a new board for the next xmas camp... hopefully something more suitable for my skill level.

20151226-DSC_9450small.jpg
20151226-DSC_9466small.jpg
20160101-DSC_2091cropped.jpg

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
cheers Mark, yeah a bit longer, and will try to make it thicker with more buoyancy so when you take off it doesn't sink as much. I think if I make it three layers thick with the middle layer as a skeleton so there's air pockets in the middle layer.

Top Bottom