Question Tractor Slasher

Perry

Premium Member
Jul 14, 2017
Maryborough Qld.
Climate
Sub-Tropical
G'day,
I have been looking at purchasing a Tractor with a Slasher. One Tractor is for sale not far from me but it does not have a slasher. The Tractor has a 25 hp motor. Please could somebody tell me what size Slasher this Tractor would work without any problems

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 27, 2015
Pomona, Qld
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Depends more on what sort of terrain you are working over & what sort of trees, bush & grass you want to cut down.

A 25hp tractor should only work a 42inch or maximum 48inch (4ft deck) single blade slasher.

For example if you want to slash kikuyu that you might allow to grow a bit thick, your 25hpx48inch slasher will struggle to do the job. Or if you have a scrubby rough paddock, I would say 25hp might not be big enough.

Also is the tractor 2 or 4 wheel drive? 4wd will use more of the horse power to drive along, leaving less for the implements.

Just as an indicator to horse power, my John Deere ride-on mower is 18.5hp & runs a 42inch twin blade mid-deck. The same mower new now comes with a 22hp motor to do the same job. I cut my treed, rough, grassy & weedy horse paddocks with it but the mower does struggle at times.
I am also looking to upgrade to a tractor but I will be looking in the 40ish hp range with shuffle shift because I need something that will run over dead branches, run an auger that will dig 40cm postholes & run a front end loader bucket. The slasher that will come with that set-up will only be 4ft wide.

Perry

Premium Member
Jul 14, 2017
Maryborough Qld.
Climate
Sub-Tropical
G'day ClissAT,
Thank you for your reply. I have had one paddock slashed by a Commercial Contractor. He had a $150.000 machine. There was Rats Tail grass and small trees growing. He took it down to about 4" At one time I would mow the same paddock with my Greenfield Ride on but it took 4 days and I had to replace belts.
I have a paddock that has regrowth with trees higher than your house. I have arranged for a Mulching Machine to come in and clean it up completely. I have been told that to keep it clean and tidy and to keep the regrowth under control I will need a bigger tractor. If I slash all the paddocks on a regular basis I will not have to worry about poisoning the trees that start to grow. All I need to do now is to find a Tractor with a Slasher that will be big enough and one I can afford.
Thank you for your help & suggestions. I appreciate it.
Cheers Perry

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 27, 2015
Pomona, Qld
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Is there anything you don't know or have experience in Clissa? You're a bank of knowledge! :)
:):blush: sometimes knowledge can be hard to turf out of the old brain!

One job I held for 2 yrs as a jillaroo in my teens, so that's a very long time ago ;), was working for a guy who had cattle properties & a grain farm in central Qld.

We (the workers) moved around between the properties as needed sometimes in groups & sometimes on our own to do the necessary work.

There were a variety of vehicles, mechanical equipment, tractors & implements which I had to learn as I may have been required to work unsupervised.

The reason this info came to the fore in my head again is that I will soon buy either a tractor or 10T excavator with a variety of implements. I only have limited $ to get the most suited piece of secondhand equipment to do the necessary work on my property. I need a reasonable sized slasher which determines the size of the tractor but is limited by the available funds.

I'm sure Perry would have the same dilemma.

Reactions: Mark

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
One job I held for 2 yrs as a jillaroo in my teens, so that's a very long time ago ;), was working for a guy who had cattle properties & a grain farm in central Qld.
What a great experience that must have been!