Temperate / Subtropical

Isobel Lewis

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
We are right on the border of being subtropical and temperate. It can get really confusing as to what to plant and when. We don't get real frost either so hard to go off seed packets. We are trying to plan out our garden for the first time. Anyone else live within two climates and have any tricks?

Jacqui

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I’m still learning what to grow at what times of the year. I live in a temperate climate but we get heavy frosts in winter and the summers can get hot at times. I use a website called gardenate I don’t know if it will be of any help.

Isobel Lewis

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks Jacqui, I will check it out. Its really hard to juggle because some years we may get frost and other years we get nothing. A lot of apps put us as an average of -2 in July and as well we have half the yard is up high and doesn't get frost and the other half is down low and may get frost if we do get -2 temps. So so complicated. I think I may need to spend the next 12 months tracking the weather. We learnt a lot from this flooding rain and how it effects our property :)

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I think I may need to spend the next 12 months tracking the weather. We learnt a lot from this flooding rain and how it effects our property :)[/QUOTE said:
That is exactly what everyone should do when they first move to a place, can you get things going in pots, food to feed yourselves and perhaps some trees that you'd like to have, you could put them in different places and see how they fare with the weather until you know with more certainty where you would like to plant them. Also, soil building is something that you can do in the time that you are learning the weather patterns for your place. Growing in containers is a lot more involved that you might think and will give you a chance to change your mind about things without putting too much work/effort/time and then finding it is not suitable.

Top Bottom