Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Here are some images of swarming native stingless bees Carbonaria variety I took this morning. We think it could be drones mating ceremony trying to compete with each other for the new queen although I have to confess to knowing little about it and my uncle wasn't sure either...

Anyway, it was interesting and apparently this behaviour could last hour, days, or even a few weeks!

swarming stingless native bees hives set up.jpg

swarming stingless native bees carbanaria.jpg
swarming stingless native bees.jpg
swarming stingless native bees 2 brood boxes.jpg

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I guess we'll never really know unless there is someone who can communicate with the bees. But that looks fascinating.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Gosh Mark those photos are amazing particularly the one where you got the bees in focus in the foreground.

At my Mother's unit the other day down at Sippy Downs there 1000's of little native bees all over her flowers.
I've got alyssum growing in my veg garden to bring them in & a few do find their way here.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Put some lettuces in and they'll bolt to seed fast in this weather (nearly summer in seq) they produce hundreds of small flowers, which the bees love. Then keep the seeds for your autumn salad crop.

Top Bottom