Sustainable Kit home good idea?

Will sustainable kit homes like this take off one day?

• Total voters

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Pfffft...did he say "apoca-ready"? (Hehehe)
Nice idea, obviously appealing to some of the "preppers" in the States, so the commentary is quite funny.
I've seen some brilliant, funky container houses, which is what I'm one day hoping to put on a bush block. The somewhat unimaginative design of this one leaves me a little flat, but I guess they're trying to deliver everything in one load...therefore only 1 container.
The bonus would seem to be the large greenhouse/aquaponic system. Think I'd rather buy that kit and do my own thing for the "shelter" though.
Do they ship to Aust?

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I don't mind the idea of a shipping container used as a lockable shack on a block of land.

I wouldn't buy something like the above kit because I think it'd be too expensive and may not be that suitable.

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hmmm does seem expensive. Our quotes have been around $1500 per sqm...and that's for something more architectural, not just an internal kit out.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I'm certainly no carpenter but I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to knock up a rectangle box for a lot cheaper than that kit home.

One of my old army mates in Albury, purchased a small second hand wooden house and got it transported to his 5 acre property - I think they cut it in 3 pieces to fit on the truck from memory it was a really cheap way to get an instant house by getting it delivered and put on blocks then he did most of the renovation work himself.

Everytime I drive past Burpengary and see those recovered houses for sale sitting in the industrial estate I think of him.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
What you need to remember is that most people can't even keep one house plant alive for more than a year let alone a whole indoor garden.
Yeh nice idea for a spot of Sunday arvo day dreamin' but not that practical.
Plus, think about it this way. If some sort of apoca does happen, can anyone be sure that the air will be good enough to bring into an indoor garden to grow stuff? Or will it poison the plants & people? Also same would apply to the water. And where would you buy the resources like fertilizer, growing medium, etc. All very well to have the first crop worked out but what happens if the apoca goes on beyond that first crop?

But on the other hand it's good that people are actually thinking laterally about how to get by under such circumstances & I'm not having a go at Preppers. This stuff has to get into the mainstream & be taken up by Mr & Mrs Suburbia.

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Oops, you're right...and normally I'd consider myself a "glass half full" kinda person...then again we're not the only ones - the crowd funding response probably speaks for itself :) (god that'd be awful to get such a negative response)
I LOVE shipping container architecture...but there's so much you can do with them, why'd they make it soooo uninspiring?!

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
I think the idea has some merit but will probably be more aimed at those without too many skills and are looking for a 'ready-made' solution.
Has anyone been to the 'Eat Street Markets' in Brisbane? They make excellent use of old shipping containers as stalls to sell their food and stuff. Great place if you're looking for something to do on the weekend!

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Has anyone been to the 'Eat Street Markets' in Brisbane?
I can't say I have... sounds good!

Do they drop the container off a truck on the morning of the markets and then pick it up or do the containers stay there permanently?

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Do they drop the container off a truck on the morning of the markets and then pick it up or do the containers stay there permanently?

I've only been there once and it looks like they are permanent. It's sort of set up like streets (hence the name of the market) with the containers lining the streets. It's a great place for a feed and some live music. I think it costs a buck or two to get in so it's not too bad.

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I believe it's John Stainton's baby (crocodile hunter producer from way back) - they're left on site I think for now, but I think they're a short term solution until the site is redeveloped eventually...could have this completely wrong though! We stopped off at the container shopper village in Christchurch last time we were there, apparently also a long term temporary solution, but very cool...worth googling if you'd ever consider container architecture.

Top Bottom