Strange garden tool

Marisa

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
It was so easy, at one time, to move the hose around, or pick up the debris as I gardened.... Well, things have changed. But, I have learned if I use a grabber to pick up or move items around on the ground, or to reach across a raised bed, I am actually saving myself some pain. I now keep one handy in both the front and back yard, in the car and around the house. I can actually reach things on the ground but find my nerve pain flairs up and for five to six days I am unable to get outside to even turn the water on. If you need one, I find the ones from the janitorial companies to be much stronger and can pick up more weight. Oh, an you don't scratch up your hands or arms with prickly things. It took me a long time to decide to use things like grabbers... I felt that I was giving into my limitations and making them worse. The truth is, getting on top of the pain allows your body to heal itself much better. Tools that allow us to complete tasks, especially when your life becomes limited with the tool, is not a sign of weakness, its a life saver. This is also why I purchased a "ditch digging" shovel. The narrow 5 in wide straight hard blade quickly gets down through soil. Its one of my favorite tools but not for raised beds.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It's good to find stuff like that. Yer as you say you think you're giving in and possibly making your problem worse, but it's possible that if you don't have the right tools that you don't even try because it's too hard.

Marisa

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
So true...its better to use a grabber than not go in the garden at all.... I also take my walker out with me, its heavy duty with a stead and a basket. Comes in handy and allows me to be outside more than 5 minutes. I just read ClassAT's post on my Hello from California...very encouraging...what a story! There is nothing like being outside growing things to bring health and happiness and sustainability of life!

Flatland

Premium Member
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Full marks to you for working out what works for you and gets you out in the garden. Keep it up.

Top Bottom