Spaghetti pumpkin

Flatland

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2016
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
I was given a Spaghetti pumpkin the other day & cooked it up with a tomato & veggie sauce. Really tasty & low calorie which is great as I am trying to lose some weight. So I have decided to grow some next year. My question is do spaghetti pumpkin keep as well as other pumpkins?

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Jan 10, 2016
Brisbane
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hmmm good question (I'm assuming this is the same veg as spaghetti squash right? A fairly large, oval yellow thing - grows like a pumpkin?)
I've tried them only once and found them a bit blander than Gem Squash - a Sth African grown veg that does well in QLD (in my experience). Online sources suggest they'll store up to 3 months in a dry cool place (I usually find with other winter squash you get a bit longer if you're brave enough)

Reactions: Skippyherron

Flatland

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2016
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Yes Spaghetti squash. Same thing. 3 months is OK. If how I go with normal pumpkins is anything to go buy I won't get more than 3 months worth anyway

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 27, 2015
Pomona, Qld
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I used to like spaghetti squash as we often had it when I was a child.
Then, as an 18yo I was sent on my own to harvest a whole 20ac paddock at Bowen that had no shade.
They were huge squashes, very heavy & the huge leaves were waist high.
It was as hot & humid that year as it has been this year, & 3 days in a row I got heat exhaustion around the middle of the day.
On the 3rd day I was taken to Bowen hospital & forced to spend a night or 2 in the coolth.
I never really recovered from that as I have ever since had trouble with high heat & humidity.

Interestingly, I have not had spaghetti squash since then either! :D

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Jan 10, 2016
Brisbane
Climate
Sub-Tropical
If you're interested in trying some gem squash, let me know....hopefully my seed squash is sitting comfortably in the pantry until next August. (Though I might try popping a few in in July if it's a warm as last July) I'm happy to post seeds (so long as it's to a legal state of course!!)

Reactions: Skippyherron