Dismiss Notice
Today's Birthdays
  • William Welch
  • winston h

Question Small Mixed Fruit Orchard Planning

Discussion in 'Temperate Climate Only' started by Tamitha Ratliff, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Tamitha Ratliff

Tamitha Ratliff Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Ok. We found our perfect piece of rolling land and now the planning begins! :yahoo: Our new land as you see in the pictures below, has varying degrees of slope on it... DnE being the largest at 20% - 35% slope. I was planning on planting different fruits and nut trees, orchard style in the DnE area.

Question:
    So, what would be the best method to do that? Something like terraced?... with grass pathways or mulched walkways?... Or abandon the row style orchard all together and plant random? :think:

I am aiming for the best use of this area since it will be difficult to mow as a yard.

Thanks for all help! BearHollow2.JPG BearHollow.JPG

2. Bronnie Price

Bronnie Price Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Hi Tamitha, firstly look at putting swales in on contour. Have a look at Geoff Lawton on Google/ YouTube. Then look at doing trio planting. Here is a link to Stefan Sobkowiak from Miracle Farms. Hope this is helpful. There is lots to think about.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DTK

DTK Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi Tamitha, I am green with envy. Seems to me that you have lots of fun and success ahead. I agree with comment above regarding swales. Good luck...

4. Joshua

Joshua Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Gday Tamitha, what is your ph? Personally i like to use dwarfing root stocks trained along wires running north south to allow for the most sun down the row. This has the benefit of keeping everything within a manageable height for pruning and netting. If you are on wet soils drainage may increase yield or denying water using weed mat.

Happy Farming

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tamitha Ratliff

Tamitha Ratliff Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Thanks all! I'm looking into your suggestions. :readit:

6. vivian Furlow

vivian Furlow Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Hi Timitha, Planting "random" sounds lovely but I suggest you think of watering. Plan according to watering works for me after a few "randoms."