Small dodgey wood heater - pledge

Discussion in 'Building DIY, Machinery & Tools' started by stevo, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Now that's a good idea, a smaller fire tray on the bottom for use only when you want to do pizzas :thumbsup: That'd work a charm I reckon!

For bread, you'd just keep the top grill and I'd envisage cook up a bbq grill and at the same time do a bread (or herb bread) below because you only want to generate an even 180 C for bread anyway. And for those odd occasions, when you want pizzas you just ark up the bottom burner and with those bricks as insulation it should get hot as a furnace in there.

Would you incorporate some clay bricks or firebricks or pizza stone as a base to throw the pizza on like a mini pizza oven or use pizza trays?

As for wood, I don't have much of an idea but you can get a smoke effect by using things like tea leaves and special wood smoke shavings from camping shops without actually burning wood. That may suit your design better - I'm not sure... o_O

2. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member

My 2 cents worth on pizza stones....I dont rate them!
    I had one for a while and seemed to do an ok job until some cheese spilled over one time and oil out of the cheese soaked into the stone. Then every time i cooked on it the oil leached out and made my pizza base soggy. I went back to the drawing board and thought long and hard. I thought, what do the true-blue pizza shops use? round alluminium Pizza trays was the answer and I have never looked back since. Every base now is perfect and I just cook mine in my BBQ with the lid down with the tray on the grill or hot plate. My other tip is to sprinkle polenta on the tray before laying the dough down, it never sticks! :chuffed:

And for smoke, i got a small cast iron box that i put flavoured wood chips in when I slow cook lamb shoulder or pulled pork on the BBQ. Sit the box on the flame and it just smokes away. Awesome.
    But if you're using wood as the heat source then it should all be automatic for you Stevo. I'm not sure of the best wood either as I just use stuff from the camping shop like Mark suggested.

3. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I got some steel the other day, 5mm plate for the door. I cut a vent hole in it and welded (tacked) hinges, handle and vent sliding door on it. Lots more work to do yet though. Now it's starting to look like a safe, or a prison door

Attached Files:

4. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member

Starting to come together mate. Nice.

5. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Crikey that is solid! Looks like a square pot belly stove - I like it :twothumbsup:

Before I sold my place in Toowoomba I ripped out the pot belly stove and took it with me - got it down the back at the moment in our picnic area but I really only use it as a stand for my wok. Gave it a coat of kill rust pot belly stove stuff and it seems to be holding up ok.