Sick peas - maybe whole bed is in need of help

alter ego hank

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi folks,
The raised beds I put in are posing some issues. I am trying to work out what my veggies need to prosper. I have some peas that are looking quite sickly in the raised beds, while the left over pea seedling I put in a pot (along with a left over tomato seedling is going great. (please see the photos)
Do I need to add better fertilizer to the beds? They did have a good 300-400mm of seedling/vege mix from the nursery in them which I added a little dynamic lifter to. The plants in the pots are just doing so much better. Could it be the reflected sun and warmth the post are getting from the fence? Should I put a clear plastic tent over the raised beds?

Any helpful suggestions truly appreciated.

Attachments

• sick-peas.jpg
    sick-peas.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 173
  • sick-peas-2.jpg
    sick-peas-2.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 180
  • good-peas.jpg
    good-peas.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 179

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It looks like it could be soil related because it doesn't look like a disease to me but I doubt it is due to not enough fertiliser possibly too much or the medium is too heavy.

Maybe something is attacking the roots but whatever it is I doubt they are salvageable unfortunately.

Probably best to yank them out check the roots and maybe even test the soil pH just in case to check it isn't too acidic or alkaline.

Make sure that the soil has free drainage and not remaining too wet for long periods.

Good luck! :)

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I've encountered the same issue. Snow peas planted in established raised beds (some direct winter sun, but more dabbled winter sun during daytime) which were re-furbed post summer crops with home made compost, some store bought moo poo and blood & bone grew really well.

Those I potted (with same compost, moo poo and B&B) and were able to place in a sunnier spot have been hit and miss much in the same as shown in your pics. My potted peas look same as yours.

As the compost I used was fairly airy (and I didn't tamp down the mix very much in the pots) I'm putting it down to excess water as it's been a wetter and cloudier winter in Sydney than past years. Raised beds have drained better than pots ie the Mark damp finger test shows this to be evident, so less watering for the potted peas and pulled those sickly looking ones and as a test, I've sown another 10 odd snow pea seeds (same variety) in the same pots and will see how they go...Have started sprouting, so a positive start.

I also gave the peas a watering with Sulphate of Potash to aid with flowering and fruit development and it worked a treat.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
They certainly need a good liming!
The soil would have benefited from garden lime application at the rate of a double handful per square metre/yard 2wks before you planted the seedlings.

alter ego hank

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thank you all for your replies. I'll compost the sick peas, investigate the soil, and add what is required have a better soil for whatever I plant there next. This is all quite new to me so there is definitely a lesson in this.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I'll compost the sick peas, investigate the soil,

No need to kill the peas. Just add lime and scuffle it into the soil around them.
In a few days you will see their new leaves grow all 'proper and dark green'.
The current leaves will continue to yellow until they drop off but the new leaves will be like a new plant.
It's good that the old leaves fall off because that will keep the stems leaf free near the ground.

alter ego hank

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
No need to kill the peas. Just add lime and scuffle it into the soil around them.
In a few days you will see their new leaves grow all 'proper and dark green'.
The current leaves will continue to yellow until they drop off but the new leaves will be like a new plant.
It's good that the old leaves fall off because that will keep the stems leaf free near the ground.
Copy.
Will do. I'm traveling home from southern NSW tomorrow morning so hopefully I can get there and do that before the rain comes.

Top Bottom