Self-sufficient property backyard tour

Berkeloid

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Very interesting! Thanks for posting. I find it interesting that you say the fruit fly doesn't attack the hot chillies but the other milder ones get stung. I wonder whether you could discourage fruit fly from the other fruits by spraying some kind of diluted chilli mix onto them, so they think they are all chillies and steer clear of them?

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Very nice tour of your busy back yard mate. Thanks for sharing. There were quite a few little tips that came out of the video that are worth taking note of looking for problems that can occur with growing fruit trees.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I wonder whether you could discourage fruit fly from the other fruits by spraying some kind of diluted chilli mix onto them, so they think they are all chillies and steer clear of them
I don't think it's the heat that deters the fruit fly, unfortunately. I guess that the flesh on the hot chillies (or mild ones) is too thin for the maggot to grow successfully so the fly doesn't bother stinging the fruit.

When it comes to cherry tomatoes it's probably the acidity of the fruit that stops fruit fly from stinging it. Whereas, large tomatoes are almost impossible to grow without netting.

I often see blemished skin on cherry tomatoes from old fruit fly stings without seeing any sign of larva development in the fruit.

Top Bottom