Rabbits

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Flatland, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Flatland

Flatland Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    The bunnies have decided my veggie garden and orchard as pretty good places to be. So has anyone got any ways of dealing with this apart from a gun or a fence? I realize I am probably dreaming but I was hoping there is a rabbit repelling herb. One can dream. If I have to end up putting a rabbit fence around my veggies how high does it need to be? Hoping I can get away with one that I can step over. I know I am dreaming again

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. OskarDoLittle

OskarDoLittle Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I do love the idea of a rabbit-repelling herb! Allegedly there are "no rabbits" in Qld, so clearly the rabbit-proof fence is a possibility (I'm being facetious...the rabbits made it past the fence quite some time ago!!). I think they can also burrow under, so it might not be as simple as simply making a fence that's tall enough.
    I still find it difficult to manage simple moths so I'm probably not going to be much help to you sadly!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Comfort

Comfort Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    FIDO is a great rabbitt repellent.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Flatland

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    Love it! Must admit I want to get another dog by OH is not keen. I'm working on him. Recon I would get a Jack Russel that should make short work of the mice in the shed and the rabbits in the veggie garden

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Whoever said there were no rabbits in Queensland doesn't live in Queensland! Wherever I've gone in both suburban and rural south east Queensland I have seen hares, wallabies, and bats all playing their part to frustrate my efforts to get a good veggie garden going. Whilst I consider a fencing fixture I'll be using nets to try and deter them from getting to the veggies.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hares are different to rabbits, though Ash.
    Still not native fauna, but nowhere near as ravenous, distructive or productive as rabbits.
    But yes there certainly are some rabbits in Qld.
    I'll add to your list of frustrators too, .... parrots, rats, crows.............!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Whatever we have here, they're certainly devastating any produce being grown. The crows got to my passionfruit, but they weren't as bad as these bunnies that just decimate all the veggies.

8. Skippyherron

Skippyherron Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I feel your pain! Unwanted animals destroying our veggies are so frustrating. Sorry i have no advice xx

9. Flatland

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    My OH and I have discussions as to whether we have rabbits or hares. I say they are hares, OH swears they are rabbits. They are big and don't really dig holes just little scrapings and don't seem to do too much damage except for the tree bark. I have protected all my fruit trees with mesh and fingers crossed it seems to be keeping the rabbits/hares off of the bark

10. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Recently I thought the resident hare was helping itself to my eggplants.

Then I discovered it was a wallaby!
    Anyway since then we have had some rain so the wallabies are off eating grass again.

However some chewing of produce continued so I looked more carefully & figured it might be rats or a native rat type.
    So I set a cage trap & did indeed get a native rat which I relocated.
    Then I saw a ratus ratus so I set my big old rat traps & got 4!
    They were living in the compost heap & eating the zucchini & cucumber flowers & tiny fruit as well as tomatoes, garlic, young eggplants.

Now, finally, I have my autumn produce to myself for a change.
    The bathtub beds are netted against parrots & crows, & now no rats in residence either.

Today I harvested a good handful of cherry toms, a continental cue & a small eggplant. A capsicum will be ready next week along with about a litre of toms & 2 more cues.
    How wonderful it is to finally have produce again.

Hooray!!! :yahoo:

PS, re the rat thing.... I had to unlock my rented cabin to let the plumber in who was replacing the hot water system yesterday morning early & I spooked 2 native rats that had got drunk from licking the lurp sap on the fallen dead gum leaves accumulating at the front of the cabin. They ran in circles til they got their bearings, then ran in under the cabin! :D

• Like Like x 1