Powdery mildew compost?

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi folks, I have done a search of the forums on my phone but cannot see an answer to the following question.

Powdery Mildew on plants... throw plants in compost or burn them (but no burning at present)?

TIA,

Dan

Wedgetail

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Dan I believe the mildew needs a living host plant to survive but I just put any I have in another pile and smoke it when the weather's right no point giving it any chances. Dave

Reactions: DTK

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thanks Dave. I believe that's the way to go; just keen to not waste good compost material. I kept it aside...so when weather improves, it become ash. Cheers, mate.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
The thing with all these fungii is that they are indemic so no amount of separation or disinfection of affected plant material prevents further infection next time the atmospheric conditions are right.
Smoking is as good a disinfection process as any.
Making a tea would also work since the fungus can't live in completely saturated conditions either.
But the next time there is light rain along with some heat and humidity, spray all plants that might get infected with a solution of 10% milk in water. Make sure you get under every leaf where the fungii develop first.
It works as well as any chemical or copper spray.
However it has to be reapplied if the plants are overhead watered or there is more rain.
Whereas using copper or chemical, it becomes systemic for about 3mths of continuous protection and no need to get underneath every leaf.

reeeen4

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Wow that' interesting @ClissAT how does the milk work at stopping the fungus? I have had this issue before but never knew about this. Does it work with plants that are already effected? or only as a prevention?

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It works only on new growth. So any affected existing growth will develop full blown grey mood and the leaves will fall apart.
But all new growth sprayed will remain unaffected as long as it is reapplied under the leaves if there is rain or overhead watering.

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thanks ClissAT. I have saved the info. Much appreciated! Dan

Top Bottom