Post your wild animal encounters

Director

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Any idea what this is. (yes I know it's a caterpillar but what does it grow into? A Dragon? )

Attachments

• P1000577.JPG
    P1000577.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 661
  • P1000578.JPG
    P1000578.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 537

Flatland

Premium Member
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
That green catapiller is a beauty
Thinking of catapillers does everyone know of the horrible black ones that hang as a group in gum trees & if you approach them they all rear up & spit. and when they want to move to a new tree they move along the ground in this seething mass, something out of nightmares.

Flatland

Premium Member
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Yes. It's the black ones I am talking about. They don't look so bad when there is only one of them but in the wild they hang around in a lump and they truly look like "The creature from the black lagoon"

Berkeloid

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
There are some Eastern Water Dragons that live in the gardens where I have lunch at work every day. They learn to trust you very quickly if you give them something to eat, and often come running over when they see you arrive. They happily climb up onto your knee looking expectantly for a tasty morsel headed their way.

I could never understand how people could describe their pet lizards as "cute", but getting to know these ones, I now completely understand what they mean. I always get a laugh out of the way these guys behave, and they trust you completely - they aren't afraid at all of your hands moving around near them once they know who you are.

If you are ever lucky enough to have water dragons in your area, I absolutely recommend befriending them!

Attachments

• lizard1.jpg
    lizard1.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 323
  • lizard2.jpg
    lizard2.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 327
  • lizard3.jpg
    lizard3.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 372

Berkeloid

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
They all have different food preferences, some like things that others don't. Dried apricots is one thing that some of them love but others hate. I found that muesli bars seem to be something they universally like, so I feed them a honey-sweetened "oat bar" which it seems all animals universally love.

I start by keeping still until they relax a little (still moving my arms though so they don't get a fright when I suddenly move), then throw a small piece so it lands close to them. Sometimes they run away but usually they take a good look at it and then often try to eat it. Dried apricots are good because the colour really stands out so they notice it. Once they take that first bite and realise how tasty it is, I just keep throwing them small pieces and they start learning what this new delicious thing looks like. Over time they get more confident and come closer and closer, and if they are there every day it takes probably 2-3 weeks or so before they will eat out of your hand.

The smaller the lizard the longer it takes. The larger ones will eat out of your hand within a day or two, but I suspect that's because where I am they are exposed to lots of humans so they are already used to being around people.

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
We have 2 dragons that have lived around the yard for a number of years...a big male "Stumpy" (we think he lost a large chunk of tail in a territorial fight...but that's ok, they grow back) & a female "George". They're omnivores, so they'll eat most things. Stumpy often helps himself to the neighbour's cat biscuits. We generally feed them mince. I've learnt to gently throw them food. I used to hand feed them but their sight seems a little dodgy, so they would often bit my fingers instead of the meat.
And yes, I've had the odd rude surprise when George has literally run up my leg to say hello. Surprisingly their claws don't hurt or even break skin. So be prepared if you befriend them to have them come greet you quite enthusiastically whenever you're outside. This can be quite disconcerting if you're gardening and a scaly head and body pops up next to your hands!

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
There are some Eastern Water Dragons that live in the gardens where I have lunch at work every day.

If you are ever lucky enough to have water dragons in your area, I absolutely recommend befriending them!
Great pics...he looks very comfortable there on your lap! Also looks like he may have shed fairly recently.

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Any idea what this is. (yes I know it's a caterpillar but what does it grow into? A Dragon? )

It's a tailed emperor caterpillar...quite a pretty butterfly with (surprise surprise) blue tails. The caterpillar is cooler I reckon!

Top Bottom