Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
We had a lucky escape with our dog Scooter - he got a Paralysis tick and needed immediate medical attention with 3 days and two nights in the animal hospital.

Here's a video about finding the tick, removing it, and the medical treatment we gave him.

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
letsgotravelaustralia.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Glad your dog is ok now. Pretty scary stuff. Google the new pill the vet has given you. I looked into it for my dog but has some pretty bad reviews with dogs being very sick.

Worth looking up and not just use that pill because the vet recommended it. Of course not all dogs have such negative effects.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I hope little Scooter is feeling much better by now.
Mark also did the vet tell you that once affected, pets (& humans for that matter) have progressively worse reactions on successive bites?
I had to move from Maleny because I became so sensitive to the local tick genetics that I was starting to have bad reactions almost immediately.
I've never been one to bother if I got a tick on me but those up on the hill activated my immune response.
It was my horse vet who told me I would have to leave town permanently as I had a reaction while he was vetting one of my horses one day. I didn't even know I had a tick on me.
So your dog will have a worser reaction next time.
There are heaps of baby ticks around this year.
I thought I had got my place pretty much cleared of ticks because for the last 3yrs I haven't found even a one on any of my horses.
But about 4wks ago I started finding small pale ticks every day on the horses & I've had 3 on me. No reaction luckily nor have the horses had big lumps develop which is all really good.
But disconcerting that they are back.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Mark also did the vet tell you that once affected, pets (& humans for that matter) have progressively worse reactions on successive bites?
No, the vet didn't give me that information. Just said there are lots of ticks around - been plenty of cases.

Scooter's fine now although his bark isn't as strong as it was - that's not a bad thing lol...

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Scooter's fine now although his bark isn't as strong as it was - that's not a bad thing lol...

Geez if that works I wish the darned dog next door to me would get 100 tick bites!
It's been debarked 3 times already & still barks its head off & still loud enough that I have to turn the tv up!
Of course its not the dogs fault. Its the owners fault for not training the poor thing properly & causing it to get so frustrated with the way they treat it, it feels the need to scream at them all day even when they aren't home. All it wants is someone to listen to its grievances.

Top Bottom