P90X Workout Program Discussion

Discussion in 'Exercise, Health, and Well-being' started by Mark, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I thought that the P90X exercise program suggested by @Steve deserved its own thread for anyone (like me) who has a particular interest in this type of workout. The quote below was taken from "Getting back into exercise thread."

Steve, I gather this is a "home workout" and not one done in a club etc and therefore you'd need some equipment already set up - say, in a home gym or similar area? What do you need to be able to follow the DVD correctly?

Did you get the DVD online or is it avail in shops and who or where did you see it recommended?

Are you seeing some results already in your own fitness levels?

Sorry for the thousand questions :D

2. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member

Ask all the questions you want Mark, happy to answer.

Yes you are right on, it's a home workout program. It would be hard to do in a club due to the fact you follow the DVD to get the next exercise, cadence, reps, etc etc. but its perfect at home. I hate paying for a gym membership and waiting in line to use a machine so home workouts are perfect for me.

Equipment: you need a couple of things but you can get away with it pretty cheaply. Things you'll need:
    • Chin up bar - I had a squat rack with a chin up bar across the top already so that was no problem for me however you can buy door mounted systems cheap or you can use a tree branch if you have on near by. They also always show an alternative exercise using resistance bands (coloured rubber bands) where could hook it over a door or similar and do the same type of exercise except with bands.
    • Weights - you only need dumbbells or resistance bands. To get a complete set of dumbbells would cost a heap so bands are a much better option and only cost around $30 -$40 on eBay unless you want to get a bit more serious. I have two sets of dumbbells but not quite enough weight to go on them. Unfortunately the weight is the expensive part. (sigh)
    • Rubber mat - Cheap from any sports store to do floor work on....or collapse on! :faint:
    • Chair - pretty easy to get your hands on one of these. Nice for a rest too! :coffee:
    • DVD player - i just use my laptop as it's portable and can sit it wherever i need
    I've never seen it for sale in any shops in Australia. I found it online just from surfing around and stumbled across it. Apparently it's advertised on the late night shopper channels in USA (and probably here too?). There are all sorts of YouTube vids on it and reviews online but they are very biased so you need to sift out the BS from the real (this can be a hard job sometimes).
    It's made by a company called Beachbody and they make quite a few DVD fitness programs. This one just seemed to fit my needs best.
    You can't buy it from Beachbody USA (they dont ship to Australia) but there is a Beachbody AU/NZ that does sell it online for about $80 - $90 from memory. I found it online at another site called Fishpond I think for about $60.

It has about 12 DVD's and came with a diet plan which is ok as a guide and a full explanation of the plan and how to use it. I'd say it's very comprehensive and well set out.

As for results, well I'm only 2 weeks in so its a bit early to tell but i do feel better already. In the last two weeks i have been pretty sore due to using muscles I haven't used for a while but I am starting to find my feet and can push harder now.
    I think your body just starts to 'straighten up' and you although might not see a muscle getting bigger, things just sit better. Thats the stage I'm in now. Its a good feeling and i use that momentum to motivate me to keep going. I can feel some areas start to tighten and with consistency hopefully it will continue.

It really is a hard program but I think if you want big changes then it takes hard work and commitment. A lower intensity program may get you results but it may take longer and/or you need to be more strict with your food intake. It's a big commitment when you look at, it's 6 days a week (at about 1 hrs each session) for 3 months. I know I wont stop exercising after 3 months but i may change my program again just to keep it interesting.

Any other questions I'm happy to answer. I'm no expert but I'm happy to share what I've learnt. :twothumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Great write up thanks! I thought P90X was a video DVD and you followed directions in front of a TV etc but it's sound hey... The explanations must be good then. :eek:

We've stolen half our kids rumpus room and converted it into a home gym so we're pretty good on the equipment side except for the chin up bar. That's a top idea to use the squat rack as both.

So is the workout similar to a circuit session or more like reps and sets with some light cardio and stretching thrown in?

4. Steve

Thanks Mark.

Yeah each day you just look at the program and chuck in the corresponding DVD, so Monday is Chest and Shoulders day so you just find that DVD and throw it in the player. Simple. There is a team of super-fit models doing the workout from start to finish and explanations along the way to make sure your form is right. You just do whatever they do and the rest is sweat on the gym floor.....
    There is always a warm up for 5 or so minutes and then they get straight into it. If it's a weights session then the instructor will say, '...ok the 1st exercise is bicep curls, make sure you grab a weight where you burn out at 6 to 8 reps, elbows in, and keep the reps slow, ok lets go', and they will start doing the exercise. You just do the same. You get about a minute to complete the exercise and then they move onto the next. They give you a recording sheet to keep track of reps and weight used so you know if you're improving. If you need to hit pause on the DVD at any time then just do so. Most of the time you don't watch the DVD but just listen. It's almost like an instructor being in the room with you keeping you moving.
    If the session is a cardio or yoga based it is slightly different but not much. Basically they will do the moves and you follow along but it is a bit more flowing.
    They finish up with cool down for a couple of minutes too. Then if its a weights session you are supposed to finish with the mother of all ab workouts (they call it Ab Ripper X, the X means extreme). This is 15 minutes of excruciating pain for me. (I hate doing abs! :mad:) - but I'm sure it is doing me good, somehow.

You mentioned results earlier. Today I weighed myself and have lost 1.2kgs in 2 weeks. Now most of that will be what they call 'water-weight' where if you are on a high salt diet (which most people are) your muscles will store excess water and you look/feel bloated or 'soft'. Before I started I was not very strict with my diet so I bet it is 99% water-weight but thats ok as it's all part of the process. :popcorn:
    I'm not a big advocate of telling people to watch the scales but with me i generally know that if I'm up around 87kg then I'm being slack and if I'm around 82-83 kg then I'm at my 'racing-weight' and feeling light and energetic. Today I'm around 86 kg so hopefully that will continue to decrease.
    (on a side note, I had a medical the other day for a new job I am going for and on the BMI chart I was classed 'Overweight'. The doctor just shook her head and said, geez that chart doesn't work real well for you. I'm only 5'10" tall so I think my ideal BMI weight is around 78kg....now that aint gonna happen!)

I like the idea of a using the rumpus room. All i have is 1/5th of the double car garage to store my gym stuff. When I want to do a session i move the car out and use a whole car bay. It's bit of a pain setting up and then packing up but it probably adds to the workout.
    I would love to have a dedicated area set up. You are very lucky Mark.

Well today is Kempo day (Martial Arts) on P90X so i have to get my butt into gear. It's one of the fun sessions but I come out sweating like a pig.
    Adios!

5. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    So let me get this right... Is the DVD visual (video) or is it a CD?

BMI is dodgy at best and I've never met the standard even in my fittest 20's running 36 minute 10 ks and gym 4 days a week 100 + Kgs on an 185 cm frame made me always show up as fat on the chart :D

Your point about salt intake is a good one - I eat way too much salt in my diet :( It's a hard habit to get out of actually...

Abs are a bugger aren't they! That's another thing I don't do enough of... abs crikey, that hurts.

Have a good Kempo day! Love your motivation - it's motivating me!!!

6. Steve

It is a DVD, or should I say about 12 DVD's. There is one for each type of workout e.g. Chest and Back day, Arms and shoulders day etc etc.
    You can sit there and watch the screen to see exactly what each exercise is, then turn around and do the same.

You sound like bit of a runner Mark. Nice :thumbsup:
    36 min 10k is awesome and something I would only dream of doing.
    I used to be bit of a runner too but the years have taken its toll. In the last year I trained up again, somewhat, and had a go at a couple of half marathons. I didn't mind it as much as I thought and I am still contemplating training up for a marathon once this P90X is over. It's something you really need to through your whole soul at or you just wont be doing it justice and you will probably hurt a heck of a lot more come race day!

7. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I do like running but I don't do anything near 36 minutes for 10k anymore - I just plod along these days and enjoy the scenery ) still like to run 10 3-4 times a week and I try to beat times but I don't bust a gut. I call it maintenance recreational running for over 40's :p