Our First attempt at Bottling Fruit

Discussion in 'Food - Cooking, Preserving & Fermentation' started by mouseinthehouse, Feb 12, 2013.

1. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Active Member

Although my partner grew up in a household that bottled large amounts of fruit each year, it is something I have never done......until yesterday!

I cannot claim that they are our own peaches as our fruit trees are just planted this year, but they were lovely peaches bought at our once a month market from the travelling Riverland fruit man.

I managed to buy 14 Vacola jars at Lifeline for $2 each with rings and lids mostly in fine condition. :) Some new clips and we were good to go.

These two bottles were done in our toaster oven which we use for everything now that our son has his own place. It is much cheaper to run.

DSCF6101.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. becky3086

becky3086 Active Member Premium Member

Interesting. I have never canned any food in the oven though I have heard it can be done. We also don't have jars with reusable lids here or clips on them.
    Good for you on trying it. Looks like you did a great job.

3. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Those peaches look terrific I also haven't done any canning in the oven - something else I have to try... crikey, I'm getting a long list of preserving "must-dos" this year already :D