Question Northwest Louisiana????

Tennille Mand

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi everyone I am Tennille a PEDI/ICU NURSE of 15years. I live in Northwest Louisiana and we get all seasons here. I've been researching the best crops buts it always Corn, OKRA or Collards/Mustard GREENS! I really don't care for any. This is my 1st time starting a new garden on this property I have 52 acres but I only going to start with 1 for now. LOL So.......
My question is what are some other crops that will grow here?
Thanks for the help in advance.
LOVE, PEAS, AND PLANT!

Mary Playford

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I am not familiar with your zone as I am from South Australia but I am sure that there are tons of edibles that you can grow in your area. You either google for groups in the US or check the 'Gardenate' site a global guide and go from there. You are coming into spring, check the garden centres to be inspired. Have fun.

Tennille Mand

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I am not familiar with your zone as I am from South Australia but I am sure that there are tons of edibles that you can grow in your area. You either google for groups in the US or check the 'Gardenate' site a global guide and go from there. You are coming into spring, check the garden centres to be inspired. Have fun.
Thank you so much I will! Tennille

Nate Spud

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I live in northeast Georgia, so similar climate to you. This is my first year gardening so I'm not sure what all does well here either, but I'm going to try to grow lettuces, spinach, broccoli, peas, beans (Bush and pole) squash, zucchini, winter squash, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, melons, collards, onions, carrots, radishes, beets, and asparagus.

Nate Spud

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Good luck. I hope we are both successful in our garden adventures this year!

Andi

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Louisiana boy your talking summers hot and high humidity! I moved to Kentucky couple years ago and we get many summer days of 100% humidity. But so far I have found Sweet Corn, acorn squash and other squashes do well. Had to plant snap peas, spinach, lettuce, ect...early and shade em if to hot...tomatoes still did well, but am still experimenting grow what has worked well and testing others out too :)

Universalpuzzle

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Personally I would look at your favourite shop purchased food items.. then find out when each grows and the climate it needs.. this will decide whether you grow them Ie greenhouse or in the soil.. then slowly try a new plant or two each season.. it’s about having fun.. rather than loads of plants you won’t eat.

Jake Monteleone

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi everyone I am Tennille a PEDI/ICU NURSE of 15years. I live in Northwest Louisiana and we get all seasons here. I've been researching the best crops buts it always Corn, OKRA or Collards/Mustard GREENS! I really don't care for any. This is my 1st time starting a new garden on this property I have 52 acres but I only going to start with 1 for now. LOL So.......
LOVE, PEAS, AND PLANT!
This is a list of stuff you can grow in Northwest Louisiana
kind regards Jake

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_...cle_e851d072-2279-59b3-b890-45a50173e8ef.html

Last edited:

Shannon Robinson

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
LOVE, PEAS, AND PLANT!
I’m in California, so I don’t have your humidity. I believe that you can grow just about what ever you want to. Tomatoes, carrots, beans, onions, peppers, chard, etc. I would stick to short season varieties for items that cannot take high temps. Plant at a wider spacing to accommodate the humidity and reduce diseases. Use mulch to keep in moisture and shade roots. Grow a large fall garden if you want cool weather crops, especially frost tolerant ones. Mound your beds or rows up if you get loads of rain to prevent them drowning. we get to 116f in summer, so other than heat lovers, I grow my main items as two short season crops with cool stuff over winter. Use tall crops to shade the heat sensitive things. I don’t like collards either, am allergic to corn, but love okra if fried with Indian spices or pickled. Avoid wet cooking if you don’t like slimy, which I don’t. Any sun family or squash should enjoy your heat. Certain families of squash will do better in your area, depending on your pest population. Ask neighbors that garden which crops they crow, especially varieties that will grow well in the area.look for things that are disease resistant. All American varieties should do well for you. This title means that they can be grown most anywhere. Ignore the plant dates on seed packets and in books, plant according to your frost dates. Try new things, see wha5 works and have fun. That’s what gardening is all about. I hope that this helps

Jake Monteleone

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I’m in California, so I don’t have your humidity. I believe that you can grow just about what ever you want to. Tomatoes, carrots, beans, onions, peppers, chard, etc. I would stick to short season varieties for items that cannot take high temps. Plant at a wider spacing to accommodate the humidity and reduce diseases. Use mulch to keep in moisture and shade roots. Grow a large fall garden if you want cool weather crops, especially frost tolerant ones. Mound your beds or rows up if you get loads of rain to prevent them drowning. we get to 116f in summer, so other than heat lovers, I grow my main items as two short season crops with cool stuff over winter. Use tall crops to shade the heat sensitive things. I don’t like collards either, am allergic to corn, but love okra if fried with Indian spices or pickled. Avoid wet cooking if you don’t like slimy, which I don’t. Any sun family or squash should enjoy your heat. Certain families of squash will do better in your area, depending on your pest population. Ask neighbors that garden which crops they crow, especially varieties that will grow well in the area.look for things that are disease resistant. All American varieties should do well for you. This title means that they can be grown most anywhere. Ignore the plant dates on seed packets and in books, plant according to your frost dates. Try new things, see wha5 works and have fun. That’s what gardening is all about. I hope that this helps
thanks

Cheryl Smyth

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
LSU has great agriculture assistance for the public. With 52 acres they even might have grants for your crops. I would get a soil sample box and test my soil by LSU. Ask them with results what would be the best vegetables to plant. Results are usually back within 2-3 weeks. The results will give recommend nutrients needed to add per acre! Good luck.

Tennille Mand

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Yes this helps thank you so much!! Well done!

Top Bottom