New guy again!

Discussion in 'Poultry, Domestic Livestock, Pets, & Bees' started by Greg Franklin, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Greg Franklin

Greg Franklin Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I feel so stupid that I can't figure this thing out...I owned a pet store for right at 20 years, and hand raised so many different animals...all my birds were hand fed...but in a bit of self defense my machine was all in farenheit settings, so trying to match C. To F. wasn't a issue...this machine the Janoel 12, or MagicFly and I think one other name I can't recall gets very high ratings for a small incubator...I also had it setting on my patio table, covered porch...but started noticing that during the day the temp would spike and then at night it would struggle to keep 99.2-3F. After watching Marks video today I actually stopped halfway through and made a insulated box and moved it inside to a room that I closed the ac vent off...It's doing much better holding heat...DUH! That's where the stupid comes in ...but I would be much more at ease if I could get the units digital thermometer which is set to 37.5C. More closely calibrated to match the F. thermometer I put inside... the unit has a +/- 5 degree C. Range to work with but I have no idea wether to add to it or take away, the manual has absolutely nothing about the functionality...and my online search has been worthless...I know the insulated box is a step in the right direction but I'm hoping that someone out there has conquered the problem and can possibly help...if in the states you can even text me...919-272-3142...Thanks again!

2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi Greg & welcome.
    I know nothing about hand raising quail but I know a little about calibration.
    The long & short of my experience is that unless you buy some very hi-tech piece of equipment, you are likely to get an object that may or maynot be correctly calibrated.
    If your thermometer is one that shows room temps & comes from some ordinary shop or supermarket, go back & check several of them hanging on the display.
    You are bound to see there is a wild variation between readings of individuals handing on the display even though they should all be reading the same temp!
    One from a chemist shop used for taking the temperature of humans is likely to be more accurate.
    Of course the thermostat on your incubator may also be subject to less than accurate readings too!
    Good luck! :)

3. Greg Franklin

Greg Franklin Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    True...I have mine set at 37.5c but my secondary thermometer is all over the place if I don't keep on it...it has a ca setting on it with a +/-5c to play with but the problem is I'm not sure to add if it's running high or lower the ca setting on the unit to match my F. Thermometer... I am trying to maintain 99.5f to 99.9f it's a Janoel 12 highly rated but the manual should have been left in Chinese maybe then I could get it translated..lol

4. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    It's important to get an independent thermometer that is good quality that can be trusted for it's accuracy.

Incubating eggs can be a little forgiving on minor fluctuations in temps but too much or sudden drops/rises can ruin a batch - it has happened to me a few times...

I wouldn't worry about calibration until after your hatching and instead concentrate on keeping the temp constant.

When the incubator is empty then try calibration or experimentation. Also remember that as the eggs develop the extra heat given off by the chicks can rise the incubator temp.

5. Skippyherron

Skippyherron Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    What a great tip Mark, chicks raising temp of the incubator.

I hope you get a good thermometer to calibrate temp soon Greg!

• Like Like x 1