Mulching/reducing grass under citrus

Zoe——>

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi there,
Mark (not sure if you read this forum), I was wondering if you could share your tips on managing grass growing under citrus trees.
I have quite a few citrus trees planted in slightly raised beds (6 inches or so). They are irrigated by our Biocycle system and are growing and fruiting fantastically. Our only issue is the grass that grows underneath the trees - is it also growing fantastically!!
I’m wondering if you bother hand-weeding around young-ish trees (they are in their second year in the ground after 6-7 in large pots), particularly if they have such a good water supply? What do you mulch your trees with? Is it primarily for water conservation or grass suppression or both? We have approx 20 chickens whose manure we spread around the trees periodically (mostly mid spring after fruit is marble size and late summer) so there’s minimal chance of the trees not getting enough water or nutrients.
Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi there,
Mark (not sure if you read this forum), I was wondering if you could share your tips on managing grass growing under citrus trees.
I have quite a few citrus trees planted in slightly raised beds (6 inches or so). They are irrigated by our Biocycle system and are growing and fruiting fantastically. Our only issue is the grass that grows underneath the trees - is it also growing fantastically!!
I’m wondering if you bother hand-weeding around young-ish trees (they are in their second year in the ground after 6-7 in large pots), particularly if they have such a good water supply? What do you mulch your trees with? Is it primarily for water conservation or grass suppression or both? We have approx 20 chickens whose manure we spread around the trees periodically (mostly mid spring after fruit is marble size and late summer) so there’s minimal chance of the trees not getting enough water or nutrients.
Looking forward to hearing from everyone!
Have you tried to cover the grass to get rid of it, mulching heavily and also planting companion plants that will suppress grass growth? I believe there are lots of small roots close to the surface with citrus so you don't want to disturb the soil too much. A good layer of cardboard to suppress the grass and then cover that with mulch (put some amendments etc under the cardboard?) and then things like nasturtium, chives, elephant garlic, maybe some pretty bulbs - things that you don't have to dig out and harvest but could just take off the tops or flowers.
Please share how you go with it :)

Shellhomed

Premium Member
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
... and then things like nasturtium, chives, elephant garlic, maybe some pretty bulbs - things that you don't have to dig out and harvest but could just take off the tops or flowers.
[/QUOTE]

We have our lemon balm growing in our citrus orchard...they work great together...and no weeds.

Top Bottom