Mulcher

Flatland

Premium Member
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
I am thinking about getting an electric powered mulcher. What I want it for is to shred up horse poo. I use horse poo as mulch & to make liquid manure. For both of these things it is much better if the poo isn't still in its balls so I was thinking of shredding it with a mulcher. Has anyone put horse poo through a mulching machine? If so how did it go?

Silver Egg

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Oi,

I use a Viking GE 450 (http://www.stihl.co.uk/VIKING-Produ...ing-and-chipping-units/21538-1430/GE-355.aspx for example) that has a double function: shredding and chipping.

The large feed tube allows you to shovel in various green bits, for example I used it to shred our nettles to create an extract with water.

While I've not used horse poo (our chickens have a feast in that first, so they take care of the balls), it will work, preferably if the material is fairly dry. If it's too wet it will gunk up, I've see that with the nettles too.

You are not allowed to hose down the equipment to clean it so have fun cleaning out the little bits afterwards...

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I sometimes buy horse manure that has been mulched up it's really good for spreading in the garden but I haven't tried mulching it myself.

I have a relatively cheap electronic mulcher an Ozito from Bunnings and it actually shreads palm fronds (small ones) quite well without clogging up.

However, the cog like blades probably wouldn't be as effective for manures (or leaves for that matter) and it also lacks a nice wide feed chute to pour debris into, which is something I wish it had...

If palms aren't going into the machine then get a mulcher with blades that really chews up the waste and spits it out and that has a big feed chute to shovel or pour material/manure into.

Flatland

Premium Member
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Thanks I'll have a look at Bunnings
It's amazing how hard and unbreakable horse poo balls become

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yeah electronic mulchers are ok for small garden stuff. Obviously, the larger petrol ones are better but they are very expensive unless you go down the no brand eBay road which I have considered but never had the courage to try...

Skippyherron

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
We have an Ozito one from bunnings as well. It works great.

I'm guessing that if it's a bit moist, i'd take it slow as you feed it through or it might clog and get mucky inside.
Like Silver Egg said, you can't wash them out.....unfortunately.
I often overwork mine and then it stops. It does have a reverse function which works well for long bits of plant material as it's firm in structure and it just feeds back out.......horse poop wouldn't reverse it's way out as easy, i think.

Flatland

Premium Member
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
I'm wondering if you could solve the problem of not being able to reverse the horse poo out by just putting it in in small doses. If it does the job I won't mind taking my time and doing it slowly

AzaleaHill

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hmm, the horse apples are made of a material that is already chewed into small bits. They come out moist and soft. But now it is dried and become hard. You want to turn it into a liquid.

What if you soaked it in water for a few days before you liquified it? It seems that a bit of patience ought to be able to take the place of a noisy expensive machine.

Top Bottom