Mango from seed in the hunter valley

Melanie

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
yes I know it sounds like a crazy idea by these me out . My friend's son has a tree that's largish not crazy tall . it has been fruiting for as long as they have lived there and has the yummiest mango now they have a pig in the back yard and he makes it his duty to collect any that drop and any that hang low enough. some years even with piggly eating to his fill she has so many that I get some this year I'm going to try to start my own and I figure my best chance is if I get one from a tree that is already thriving. We do get the occasional frost where the ground has a layer of ice in the morning but being on the East coast of NSW we quiet possibly will get all four seasons in one week . my goal is to keep it in a pot as long as I can so I can move it round to suit the temperature. what are some tips I can use to improve my chances of success? because I would love to be able to one day walk past $3-5 a pop mango ( coles and woolies dont always taste the best either ) and think I have my own so i can save my money.

LisaN

Kalgoorlie West Aus
Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Clean the seas off as best you can then use a sharp knife to cut around the edge of the seed. Once you have that done crack it open like a pistachio, inside will be a big Lima bean looking seed, dampen a sheet of paper towel and fold it around the seed. Place in a plastic bag and blow it up then tie it closed. Let it sit for a few weeks. When you open it the seed with have cracked at the top and a shoot have started. Plant in loose soil with shaded light and watch it grow

Wedgetail

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi LisaN welcome to the forum and thank you for the info I would like to try growing some do you know if they grow true to type?. Love your part of the country we spent a bit of time living in Leinster. Cheers Dave

LisaN

Kalgoorlie West Aus
Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I would like to try growing some do you know if they grow true to type?.

Some will grow true to type and some won't, depends on what variety you have gotten the seed from. Kensington pride is a beautiful fruit and will produce good crops. This is also a polyembryonic so you should be able to get more that one seedling started from each seed and in a few years have fruit that tastes just as good.

Wedgetail

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thanks for the info LisaN . Dave

Mary Playford

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Mango are easy to grow once you get the seed out of the casing. Pop it on a wet paper towel and put it in a Ziploc bag. Put on your fridge until it roots. They will root faster during the warmer months and a bit slow in cooler months.

You protect it from the frost the first winter or two, then it will do its thing from then on. The r2e2 variety is a great one to grow. It fruits within 3-years in Adelaide from seed and may be less where you are because it's warmer up there. I have 3 young ones growing. I can't wait for it to fruit. Happy days ahead :)

Top Bottom