1. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Active Member

Okay not exactly curing but wasn't sure where to put this. :)

I have failed in the past with my efforts at tofu making but I was determined to get it right this time......and I did.......sort of.

Before, I tried to use regular soy milk bought in the supermarket rather than from scratch with dried beans. Maybe that is where I went wrong.
    My partner was in Adelaide and went to a great warehouse set up selling Greek cooking stuff. He brought home 4 kg of dry soy beans.
    So I soaked 3 cups overnight in water. Drained off, rinsed and then blitzed in the blender with a few cups of water. Drained through muslin for a while.
    Decanted a cup of fresh soy milk (more on that later). Brought the rest of the milk to the boil then turned off heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Added coagulant (vinegar).
    Waited a while. This is where things went a bit pear shaped. I don't think I got enough curd yield. I certainly got curds but there was still not enough separation. I tried to drain the curds, got in a huge mess. Eventually I drained the curds using a 'veggie sack' which worked well and put into a mould and weighted with a brick. Few hours later had a little block of tofu! Yet to taste it but it looks fine.....just not much of it. But for a little block of tofu plus a couple of cups of soy milk and enough bean pulp to make ten bean burgers the cost was about 80 cents. Yep, 80 cents!

Now, back to the soy milk. I had also tried my hardest to like soy milk from the shop. Several times. End result each time....YUK.
    To my surprise when I tried the fresh soy milk in a good brew of plunger coffee it tasted fine! Happy Days!
    If I can get onto home made soy milk I will be pleased. I don't like buying commercial dairy milk and the organic stuff is expensive, I also am not ready to commit to the responsibility of a goat or house cow. And I think milk doesn't always agree with me. So we will see how the soy milk conversion goes. :)

2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I just wanted to say I found your thread on making Tofu from soya beans really interesting. How did it taste?

3. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Active Member

The tofu tasted great! Have since made a second batch and got a higher yield but it was not as smooth a consistency. Just a matter of practice and tweaking the method I think.

Unfortunately my new found acceptance of soy milk didn't last so it's back to cows milk for now. You win some, you lose some. :)

4. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Be nice if there were some pics to go with this recipe...