1. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Active Member

I can't claim this recipe as I just read it in the latest Grass Roots magazine! But I adapted it a little and it turned out great.

Ingredients:
    Kale - about 6 medium size leaves
    Rock salt
    Cayenne Pepper
    1 clove garlic
    1 tablespoon dried fried shallots
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil

Tear Kale leaves into bite size pieces discarding stems.
    In a mortar and pestle put all the other ingredients and grind until mixed and fairly fine texture.
    Put Kale pieces in a bowls and massage the salt mix all over the leaves.

Instead of drying in my dehydrator I put the pieces on the dehydrator trays (use the fruit leather bases on the trays if you can so stray salt doesn't go everywhere) and placed them on the dashboard of the car parked out in the sun (day temp about 34 C). They dried beautifully in about 3 hours with virtually no loss of colour. They taste great. Give it a try if you have kale in the garden.

2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Kale is supposed to be a super food full of antioxidants and vitamins. We grow kale through winter and use it like spinach but I have never though about drying/dehydrating kale to make chips - what a top idea! :Surprise: I love my dehydrator and dehydration utilising the dashboard of your car is nifty (and cheaper). Just wondering, would the UV rays hurt the fruit leather bases or not? I am definitely giving this recipe a try - it really sounds good, healthy, tasty, and original.

3. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Active Member

Hadn't thought of the potential harm to the fruit leather bases......hmm, guess you could just pop a bit of newspaper or a large oven tray underneath instead.

4. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yeah that'd do the trick... or some baking paper possibly - if it can stand an oven bake it should take the sun on a dashboard :)