Intro- Hi from Laidley

Tony Baker

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hello all, I'm new here and thought I'd better introduce my self. We live in the Lockyer Valley SEQ, on 2.5 acres that I'm slowly developing. I've made some mistakes and have a heap to do but hey, that's half the fun. I'm 47 and have been a Dog Handler in the RAAF for going on 25 years now. I love my patch (the wife ISIN'T a gardner ;) ) so It's only me pottering around. I took some photo's after a storm yesterday hope you enjoy.

These are my little native bee's. I have atop bar bee hive I built but at the moment I'm not ready for honey bee's so that project is on hold.
Nix2MsVl.jpg

VxclzZDl.jpg

I've started to strike cuttings of my natives. Westringa's, emu bush etc and am spreading these around for my bee's. Lots of rosemary and I've found that the Blue Banded bee's love it. Another project is a Bee hotel.
8KemSkTl.jpg

3dOvgs7l.jpg

I've made use of free plants where I could and have spread others like the agapanthus, yucca's and frangpani. The yucca's make fantastic habitat for critters and I've even had crested pigeons nesting in them.
Fw6FE6ol.jpg

This is making use of a bit of crappy soil. This was spoil from the house build. I did have a Kobu cactus on it but have re thought it. Now I have planted lavender, and natives.
sv5u4jrl.jpg

I LOVE dragon fruit and after some fails with non producing varieties I've settled on a few good ones. The one on the left is a red and the right one is white (Empty wicking bed in the middle).
k9En6ODl.jpg

I've also bought a few different DF from Red Fox Pitayas before she moved (Thats where the bee's come from)
pfUCoZul.jpg

6mohxXEl.jpg

Uq6Cga3l.jpg

My growing/propagating lab. This will move to the veg patch.
j68fx35l.jpg

The veg patch is getting a rethink and referb. Being on tank water I'm making the use of wicking beds with only a few normal beds (thats why I like Dragon Fruit)
z2IXBxcl.jpg

bf3m1CWl.jpg

This bed will stay
WFMw5W3l.jpg

Snake Beans, Lemon Grass and Comfrey
vUYcB5Yl.jpg

My VERY productive Limes, Tahitians and Kaffir. I also have some midyim berry plants next to the limes. I've managed to get some of the tiny seeds from the midyim berry to germinate and will spread them around as they grow.
2WqOAG7l.jpg

Future quail pen my son and I knocked out. It gets very dusty so I'm going to pave it and add deep litter.
YdyixVYl.jpg

Current chook pen but I'm retinking this as well.Plan is to make a chook tractor (fox proof) so I can spread the love. They are in the back paddock where I want to do a food forrest.
jRfNxR8l.jpg

The ladies out for a forage
Ft19h7xl.jpg

And this is Doug....he's the reason there is so much electric fence tape around the garden beds.
9DisXUXl.jpg

Tony Baker

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hello all, I'm new here and thought I'd better introduce my self. We live in the Lockyer Valley SEQ, on 2.5 acres that I'm slowly developing. I've made some mistakes and have a heap to do but hey, that's half the fun. I'm 47 and have been a Dog Handler in the RAAF for going on 25 years now. I love my patch (the wife ISIN'T a gardner ;) ) so It's only me pottering around. I took some photo's after a storm yesterday hope you enjoy.

These are my little native bee's. I have atop bar bee hive I built but at the moment I'm not ready for honey bee's so that project is on hold.
Nix2MsVl.jpg

VxclzZDl.jpg

I've started to strike cuttings of my natives. Westringa's, emu bush etc and am spreading these around for my bee's. Lots of rosemary and I've found that the Blue Banded bee's love it. Another project is a Bee hotel.
8KemSkTl.jpg

3dOvgs7l.jpg

I've made use of free plants where I could and have spread others like the agapanthus, yucca's and frangpani. The yucca's make fantastic habitat for critters and I've even had crested pigeons nesting in them.
Fw6FE6ol.jpg

This is making use of a bit of crappy soil. This was spoil from the house build. I did have a Kobu cactus on it but have re thought it. Now I have planted lavender, and natives.
sv5u4jrl.jpg

I LOVE dragon fruit and after some fails with non producing varieties I've settled on a few good ones. The one on the left is a red and the right one is white (Empty wicking bed in the middle).
k9En6ODl.jpg

I've also bought a few different DF from Red Fox Pitayas before she moved (Thats where the bee's come from)
pfUCoZul.jpg

6mohxXEl.jpg

Uq6Cga3l.jpg

My growing/propagating lab. This will move to the veg patch.
j68fx35l.jpg

The veg patch is getting a rethink and referb. Being on tank water I'm making the use of wicking beds with only a few normal beds (thats why I like Dragon Fruit)
z2IXBxcl.jpg

bf3m1CWl.jpg

This bed will stay
WFMw5W3l.jpg

Snake Beans, Lemon Grass and Comfrey
vUYcB5Yl.jpg

My VERY productive Limes, Tahitians and Kaffir. I also have some midyim berry plants next to the limes. I've managed to get some of the tiny seeds from the midyim berry to germinate and will spread them around as they grow.
2WqOAG7l.jpg

Future quail pen my son and I knocked out. It gets very dusty so I'm going to pave it and add deep litter.
YdyixVYl.jpg

Current chook pen but I'm retinking this as well.Plan is to make a chook tractor (fox proof) so I can spread the love. They are in the back paddock where I want to do a food forrest.
jRfNxR8l.jpg

The ladies out for a forage
Ft19h7xl.jpg

And this is Doug....he's the reason there is so much electric fence tape around the garden beds.
9DisXUXl.jpg

Sorry still working out this site. All the photo's have seemed to of worked when I press edit but some are missing in the original post

Tony Baker

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Been in the place 8 years Andrew. I had two years away when I was posted to Townsville. Do all the photo's come up for you?

Tony Baker

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hmm,I'm getting some red X's and no photo's on some.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Tony and welcome. You sure are industrious! Everything is looking good and no doubt will benefit enormously from yesterday's rain and storms.

Now re your photos in your post.
Leave this site completely by logging out and close the browser page, then after a short time open a new browser page and log back in to check your post again to see if all the photos you originally loaded are there now.
Sometimes its got more to do with the old web browser page your computer or device is using rather than a fault in the post.
Post here again if all is not well!
Good luck!

Tony Baker

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
No worries I'll give it a go.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Are you using a computer or a tablet or phone?

When you say 'no good', are photos still missing?
When I read your post it all looks fine to me.
No red x's.
Your added commentary seems to be in the right place for the photos that are showing up in the post.
I noted the times of those last two posts and there is only one minute between them.
That's not enough time for a browser to forget what it loaded from a particular page.
It will draw on previously loaded data to fill the page quickly, which often results in errors.
Ten minutes is the standard time to wait on a pc or mac. Hand held devices are different but will reload old data just as easily.

Tony Baker

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Ah ok. I'll log out for the night and shut everything down. Yeah I get missing photo's and red X's.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
@Tony Baker welcome mate!

Great pics! From memory, the max number of attachments/images per post is 20 so this might explain why some wouldn't upload.

I've also been re-thinking (or more like re-doing) our chicken pen and free-ranging area to make it fox and dog proof. Just spent the past two days solid working on the boundary fence tacking chicken wire onto the existing dog mesh to ensure no ducklings or small hens can get through plus it gives added protection from foxes if they try to take on the electric tape they'll have to climb up and through all three runs - I doubt that'll happen :D:twothumbsup:

Tony Baker

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hey Mark. I haven't lost a chook to foxes around here........touch wood. Lost one to a dog (Bloody feral neighbour) and one to an eagle a few years ago. Haven't seen any pythons either although I know they are around. I won't take any chances however and the chook tractor will have a wire skirt, just have to work out an easy way to pin it up for moving. Let me see if the photo's I can't see up load
WFMw5W3l.jpg

Snake beans, lemon grass and comfrey
vUYcB5Yl.jpg

My little shade house/growing lab
j68fx35l.jpg

Future quail pen
YdyixVYl.jpg

Chook pen
jRfNxR8l.jpg

The girls. The white ones a new and very flighty
Ft19h7xl.jpg

Doug the mediocre Dane
9DisXUXl.jpg

Love the youtube clips to Mark. Keep up the good work.

:cheers:

Tony Baker

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Well buggered if I know. They all show up as X's again but I see them when I click on Edit.:confused: Ah computers.......:)

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Well, I can see your pics on my pc so at least they are working I suppose...

Yeah, be careful with the foxes they'll be around alright. We visited family a few weeks back who purchased a home not too long ago just outside of Melb and they have a wonderful little free-ranging area and pen for their hens. I noticed the boundary fence wasn't fox proof so I mentioned they should keep an eye out but they hadn't seen any signs of foxes or dogs plus they have an automatic coop door that locks them in at night.

Anyway, a few days ago they sent us a message that most of their flock was wiped out by a fox... The automatic door failed and the fox got into the coop :( - I know the feeling sadly. That's why I'm currently making ours like Fort Knox!

If all goes well, we'll finally have some new pullets in over the weekend. We miss our chooks and eggs :)

Tony Baker

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yeah they are a cleaver animal. When we first moved in I saw a few but haven't seen any for a few years now. Last week I forgot to shut the door to the pen and only found out when I went to collect the eggs after work. A chooks were accounted for luckily. I want to get a game camera just to see whats lurking around at night.

Top Bottom