Instead of staking tomatoes cascade them over a raised bed

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Mark, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Tim C

Tim C Two heads are better than one Premium Member GOLD

That's handy Stevo.:)
    I have a couple of self sown ones about a foot high. Most of my first planting copped snails then hot weather. Put another lot of seeds in at random, then we got 72mm rain in 2 sharp storms, so I have stuff coming up everywhere, where the seeds got washed to. We had 41C here yesterday and it's meant to reach 44C today. :heat:Challenging conditions, to say the least. The ground has only just warmed up enough for chillies and capsicums to germinate.
    I eventually got 4 out of 10 African Giant kettle gourds up, but only 1 out of 12 Caveman gourds.
    The Giant gourds, I will clamp one/some of the fruits between two boards, so it grows flat, to try and make a guitar body. Should be an interesting exercise. A tribal-style Double-bass guitar maybe if it gets big enough.

• Like Like x 1
  2. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    guitars need a new build thread with photos :twothumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Tomatoes usually grow well initially anyway - I think the overhead watering thing is a myth actually... They'll grow fast and strong as long as they have enough feed and water then as the fruit begins to grow and ripen the plant develops blight which drops the leaves exposing the fruit to extra sun helping it to ripen and in turn show its ready to eat. Tomatoes and blight go together like ham and sandwich :)

I'd be worried if the plants don't get to fruit stage then there's a problem but leaf diseases etc after fruiting has begun is quite normal in my opinion and whilst overhead watering in excess might exacerbate the issue I don't think focusing on it is the miracle cure to awesome tomatoes.