Indian Runner Ducks

Discussion in 'Poultry, Domestic Livestock, Pets, & Bees' started by mouseinthehouse, Feb 9, 2013.

1. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Active Member

We have only started keeping ducks in the last 6 months. As things happened we ended up with an adult pair of Indian Runners plus four ducklings.

If you are thinking of taking on Indian Runners this has been our experience:

*Unless closely hand raised, they can be quite timid, nervous and flighty.
    *They can take some time to bond with their pen, so keep them locked up in their run for a good while before attempting to let out to free range.
    *Keep a routine with the ducks. DO NOT change anything with their pen. The smallest thing out of place and your ducks will be too suspicious to come back into their pen at night!
    * If you do have to 'herd' your ducks for some reason (see above lol) you must be VERY patient, quiet and only make small, slow moves.

We are still learning about our ducks but they are very entertaining and lay lovely eggs. :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. becky3086

becky3086 Active Member Premium Member

I think all ducks are pretty much the same. I have a flock of mixed ducks and they all started out fairly well attached to me but as they got older then pulled away and became timid. I think it is just their nature. Mine hate change as well and are always scared if I change anything. One or two are more adventurous than the others though and they usually help with getting the others used to the change. I herd my ducks in and out their pen every day. I think they are definitely the easiest birds to herd once they get used to it.

3. nila11

nila11 Active Member

Indian Runner is a curious breed of domestic duck. They place erect like penguins and, rather than waddling, they run. The females usually lay about 150, 200 eggs a year or more, depending whether they are from display or utility strains. They were found on the Indonesian Islands of Lombok, Java and Bali where they were walked to market and sold as egg-layers or for meat

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Have you eaten them? And what do you think of the eggs for eating?

5. nila11

nila11 Active Member

no i have not eaten it and my thinking its depend on person's choice if they like it so....