Tip I made my own BioChar

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It all started when I watched the documentary on the terra preta in the amazon. I immediately wanted to put bio char into my garden, however ...

For years I searched for locally produced, affordable biochar to no avail. ...

then this February I watched a youtube video from MI Gardener on how to made your own biochar from a bag of charcoal briquettes. Here are the simple steps to follow
1. make sure the charcoal is 100% wood NO artificial additives
2. Crush the briquettes into small pieces and make sure to wear a mask
3. You should innoculate the biochar with a wide variety as diverse as you choose. Include compost (about 1/3 of volume) compost tea, microbes, worm castings, flour, molasses. there are many other possibilities like fresh grass clippings, rock dust, well cured manure and could even include urine.
4. add water to moisten and let stand for 1-2 weeks to give the colonization of microbes and minerals etc. to populate throughout the char.
5. add to your garden beds

I am so glad I could skip the pyrotechnics by starting with good charcoal and add this wonderful soil amendment to my garden.

I want to thank the indigenous people of the Amazon 3,000 yrs ago for the inspiration, Luke the MI Gardener and John with Growing Your Greens for teaching me the importance of feeding the soil, and most importantly this forum so I can share what I have learned to help others.

Happy Gardening !

P J, the DivingTemptress and Dirt Diva

Last edited:

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
charcoal.jpg

Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Being on sandy loam and paying for water one of the first things I did was drown a bunch of charcoal in Charlie carp for a few days, would totally recommend.

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
was it 100% wood charcoal? that is the only thing I would recommend especially for a garden of edibles.

Happy Gardening !

Top Bottom