Humidity levels and hatch rates Jap Quail

LoveInNature

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I love getting my teeth into something and researching as much as I can. Unfortunately this wonderful aspect of my personality drives others to distraction. So if you are new and have read all the comments you can find on humidity for your Japanese quail and have discovered, like I have, that there is more variations than spots on a Dalmatian, then you may find this article interesting.

For me it consolidated every opinion and advice column that I have read. Thank-you to everyone that has shared their knowledge and experience which I have found invaluable. This article has also provided me with the technical data I needed to make an informed choice about my path over the next few days with my eggs.

http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd21/3/roma21038.htm

I may never have found this if I hadn't got it into my head to weigh my eggs as they progressed in my incubator.

I hope you enjoy the read. I found the results fascinating!

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Pretty interesting!

In reality though the hardest thing for a backyard grower is maintaining the exact humidity levels. Unlike temperature, which is much easier to regulate.

Personally, I don't lose much sleep over it and as long as I have humidity from about 45 - 65% I'm happy and generally get good hatch rates. - always have done.

LoveInNature

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I really think it is like the first time you cook something. Following a recipe and measuring every ingredient. After making it a few times you know that it is a pretty forgiving recipe and you can just wing it a bit and it still turns out albeit tasting a little different each time.

I think it also comes down to learning styles. I am a reader, doer. Once I have a frame of reference I can calculate risk and balance consequences.

I totally loved your video on the baby quail hatching as it was so casual and it took a lot of stress off me in terms of my survival stats. More importantly it demonstrated that even when things go horribly wrong there can still be a positive outcome.

LoveInNature

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have 5 chicks hatched and a potential 5 to go. I cranked up the humidity and this morning discovered a green slimey chick. The only reference I could find said that it was due to the humidity being too high.

Does anyone have an opinion on this. All the subsequent chicks were fine that had the same environment.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
High humidity can lead to drowning in the shell but higher humidity is probably better than being too dry as far as hatch rates are concerned.

I've always used cheap incubators and they can be tricky sometimes to regulate especially if the outside temp & humidity are extreme.

I actually do tend to get better hatch rates during the milder months through spring and autumn. Perhaps an expensive incubator with an auto electric humidifier would help me but I gave up considering buying a Brinsea ages ago :p

LoveInNature

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I found out it is bacterial and caused by cracks or non sterilisex environment etc.

I have to say I am not really clear on the drowning thing. I had my humidity up around 80 and never saw any excess water with the chicks hatching. I would agree with suffocation in the case of non pipping.

I will need to do more searching on the effects of high humidity before I weigh in on this. I can't say 1 hatch makes me an expert.

Top Bottom